Update about blogCa

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Forcing spring

Does it work? Momma Nature (Gaia I call her) has been tricky with nice warm days in February, and then a few which are below freezing. The other day I woke at 7 to frost on my car and the roof of the apartment building downhill from me. It then was sweater weather at 3pm of 56 degrees.

Rain was due the next day.








I was gifted with a nice big branch of Forsythia, which has been inside at a window, sometimes getting some sun, at least more consistently warm than outdoors. I was hoping for beautiful yellow buttery flowers.

I don't know what makes some buds turn into leaves, and some into flowers. Of course Momma Nature must know, and the buds were thus determined long before they open.  So this is how it is.

8 comments:

  1. ...I remember a year when we had a cold period in the fall that was just long enough for many early flowering plants to satisfy their dormancy requirement. Then just before Christmas we had a heat wave, I took pictures of cherry trees in full flower with Christmas wreaths in the background. Don't mess with Gaia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that sounds amazing. We have all county schools canceled today for imminent snow storm, and it's 41 here and dry...at 8:30 am. Wonder if it will happen.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Very pretty. I am looking forward to seeing our Forsythia blooming. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty to see when it starts to bloom naturally.

      Delete
  3. Ah forsythia! Love seeing that. Its beauty says SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see Forsythia …
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are still two months away from rebirth. We don't have green thumbs for inside work.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.