Update about blogCa

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Thirteen Pennies Restaurant and Mountain Home Store

  

My friend finally got me to the Thirteen Pennies Restaurant, which is run by the Black Mountain Home for Children, providing training as well as jobs for the older residents.  My friend had talked about a sandwich which she had always enjoyed, but it's been discontinued. So we had a mixture of raw vegetables on different kinds of bread...and they were good.

The seating indoors was very comfortable, and the outdoor seating was a bit hot when we arrived with noon day sun.

But by the time we finished eating, the deluge arrived. Fortunately the Mountain Home Thrift Store was adjacent, where we enjoyed walking around and finding many treasures.









That little white bassinette is just like the one I had as a baby...must look for the photo of me sitting up in it smiling...or perhaps I was just lying down. I also remember my little sister being in it when she was born 3-1/2 years after me. Boy did I have one of those moments of recognition when I saw it in the thrift store.


Today's quote: Let us keep ourselves open to the power that carries our life in every moment...that we may be filled with silent gratefulness.

PAUL TILLICH

21 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The restaurant looks nice. I love the murals on the walls. Do they make homemade bread, sounds yummy.
    The Thrift store would be fun to explore. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that they bake anything, and the Hummingbird sandwich that Helen used to love was discontinued because they had trouble keeping avocados ripe to use.

      Delete
  2. ...the two mural are a bright spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some talented person painted them, and I must go back and see who it was!

      Delete
  3. I think SUe put some bridal veil around our kids bassinette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've seen that done! I never realized they were on wheels...but it stands to reason. I can't locate any baby pictures...I must have decided they were really a bit much to keep!

      Delete
  4. Paul Tillich was a favorite of my dad. He often cited him in sermons. Thanks for that memory. As for the bassinet, there was one that made the rounds among my sisters for our children to use. No need for everyone to buy one since we weren't having babies at same time. I think my oldest sister stored it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like most families sharing baby furniture. Somehow I lived a long way away from my relatives, so didn't inherit the older cousins things.

      Delete
  5. The restaurant looks like a lovely place to dine with a friend. Love the murals and the thrift store looks very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased by the murals as well as the nice furniture in the thrift store.

      Delete
  6. I like the two murals, they look nice on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good place to support with your custom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely go back...good sourdough bread even if not made on the premises.

      Delete
  8. I had a similar bassinet for my two girls; it was the one I was in as a baby. I eventually turned it into a planter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great...those little things that kids outgrow within their first year are seldom damaged.

      Delete
  9. We have a restaurant, about an hour away, that works just like this one. Provides training and a work situation, which is much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice endeavor that restaurant is! And I too had a shock of recognition on seeing that bassinet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thrift shops can be very interesting. While "regular" stores all carry the same boring items, thrift stores have more variety, items from different time periods.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.