Update about blogCa

Thursday, June 10, 2021

At the Columbia Museum of Art

 


My friend Helen and I enjoyed over an hour looking closely at the Escher exhibit (which expired on June 6)

I was thrilled to see this long etching...or maybe lithograph or even a lot of wood blocks. I failed to see any splices in the paper...but mainly was impressed by the design work! Yes, we all wore masks and stayed 6 feet apart, still.


The main foyer was capped by a Dale Chihuly piece of blown glass. He's a wonderful glass artist. I see when looking at this photo that the columns downstairs also have green neon lights going around them.




Wood sculptures...



Since I'm showing an "Escher a day" over on Alchemy of Clay, I won't include any of those here as well. I did quickly go to many of the other galleries to see what clay works might be on display. There weren't a lot, but most of the galleries were pretty small, so I guess the proportion compared to painting was about normal.

So I'll share the clay works next...at Alchemy of Clay blog.

While I was resting my feet, I saw these little ones in a stroller with parents, and was amazed how well behaved they were. Poor darlings, they would not enjoy Escher for many more years!

Today's quote:

In each of us there is a spark that can reverse the trends of violence and depression spiraling within us and in the world around us. By setting in motion the spiral of gratefulness we begin the journey toward peace and joy.   BR. DAVID STEINDL-RAST



19 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love the long graphic print too, the Chihuly blown glass is pretty. It has been awhile since I have been in a museum.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some special treats in museums, and we enjoyed it for a couple of hours...then ate lunch outside! Have a good day yourself!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, the Trotman one made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for ceramics, so was a bit surprised to see it! But it certainly is eye catching!

      Delete
  3. The glass piece is definitely a work of art. Chihuly doesn't blow glass anymore, only designs it. My husband had a glass blowing period (along with woodworking and oil painting). We all learned a lot about glassblowing for those 10 years he had the hobby. Our house was filled with glass pieces many of which were too big to move when we downsized to the retirement community. We still have our all time favorites and the pieces that were functional like water glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably get to drink out of art then! Your hubby sounds very talented!

      Delete
  4. Love seeing the art there. I'm going to head over to your other blog to look at more of Escher's work. I liked that Trotman piece. Interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been posting an Escher a Day here...and will take a break in a few days, then continue until all my photos have been shared here.

      Delete
  5. The long narrow one looks like an Escher. I bet the paper was made special just for the work. It is an intersting art museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course...he would have definitely commissioned a paper that he could then print that long evolving print upon.

      Delete
  6. It's an interesting question as to how old you have to be to enjoy art. I had the great pleasure helping a young lady with profound learning difficulties who was also profoundly deaf. My signing in those days was really good, which is why I got to help her in class so often, but signing conversations becomes rather tiring after a while and sometimes I used to draw pictures for her. One day a group of us were in Cambridge and I decided to take her to the Fitzwilliam Museum to see if she enjoyed the art there. Everyone else thought I was quite mad, but her expressions and vocalisations as we moved through the various galleries are some of my fondest memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great story about your young friend. I haven't ever been to the Fitzwilliam Museum...wonder what kind of art they have...

      Delete
  7. Barbara, Looks like a great art museum! I can empathize with the wooden sculptures depicting the corporate environment. Been there and done that...and felt like that more than a couple of times. We just finished with an art museum in Laurel MS...featured in an upcoming post on my blog site. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm not the only blogger who goes to museums!

      Delete
  8. Chihuly's work is absolutely beautiful. I love creative pieces made of glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, and I've visited his 'workshop' in St. Petersburg, as well as his gallery. Wonderful pieces everywhere!

      Delete
  9. Your culture quotient for the day or week or something. :)

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.