Update about blogCa

Friday, February 19, 2021

When one phone dies...

After many frustrating phone call attempts, I spoke with the customer service rep at the Computer repair outfit which had worked on my iPhone before (maybe in August)...and only replaced the battery at that time. This time I asked about dealing with sound problems...that sometimes I couldn't even hear that I'd placed a call...and when I called the same person again, that time they couldn't hear me speaking. The repair place wanted the phone for over 24 hours, or there would be a charge to rush it. Anyway, the price of diagnosis and probably needing something done about the sound was quite a bit higher than I wanted. 

I'd just received my stimulus check. Since all my needs were already taken care of, it was to be part of "savings in case of emergency."

That plan rapidly changed when I decided it was time to purchase a new phone, and the only one available would eat up my recent funds "ICOE" (in case of emergency.)

So I went ahead with the purchase, and when I went home that night I thought about how I'd refused the expense of a warrantee, and one at an even higher price to cover loss or theft. I said to myself, "Myself, you've invested a lot into that very portable little gadget. Of course without having it, should it become lost or stollen, how would you even contact the people with the warrantee?" And then I remembered the internet...

But Myself decided that I needed to have that coverage.

So the next morning I drove through rain to the store at 9 am, which wouldn't open till 11 am. I then drove back to Swannanoa, where I got gas and talked with my friend over Dunkin Donuts coffee and I admit my breakfast was a heart shaped Boston Creme Donut. After that, I grocery shopped, then took groceries home, then finally drove via the newly discovered short-cut to the store by 11:15. I'd found a way to drive to the mall that had a minimum of stop lights and turns that would turn back upon themselves. If you've ever left I-240 to go to Tunnel Rd. to the Asheville Mall, you know whereof I speak!

I asked to purchase the warrantee, and the same clerk helped me do so. I showed him how I had put the screen protector on it at home, according to the instructions, but there was apparently one end different than the other, and it wasn't placed correctly...which hadn't been mentioned in the directions given. The sales clerk said it meant the screen protector now was over the camera pointing toward me, and the space that had been designed for that was now where every function with my fingers would bump into it. He said it wouldn't hurt the camera, but it would bother me...but he didn't offer to fix it. 

So now I work on my new phone, and learn all the stuff it can do. I haven't yet posted any new photos from the new phone. I'll let you know when I can do so!

Fun! But actually I hate trying to coordinate everything. I just want to take photos, then post them on my blogs. And occasionally talk to my sons and grands...and friends.

I'm very grateful that I got that stimulus check. If I had been dealing with loss of a job, home, food etc from the impact of COVID I would really have used it otherwise. As it was, now I can hear whoever I call, and they can hear me.



The last useful thing my old phone case did was hold my vaccine sticker. Just another week till I can get the second shot!


Today's quote:

We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe.

―The Upanishads



9 comments:

  1. I never know what to do about those extended warranties. I didn't get one on my new phone. I figured that the warrantee was almost 1/3 the cost of the phone, so I decided to take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'd always decline the manufacturer's warranty...but just the thought of having invested my whole stimulus check and it could easily get lost or stollen...I decided some return on my investment was worth it. I've finally moved into the vast majority who live with fear motivating them, I guess.

      Delete
  2. ...my old flip phone has be going for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great...and obviously you don't use it to take your photos for your blog! I've become pretty reliant upon mine, as it's easy to carry in my pocket on a walk.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got this sorted. I use a fairly basic phone from Tracfone. It does everything I need including photos. But I still prefer my real Canon camera, or in a pinch my iPad.
    I have been enjoying your daily walks and thoughts, particularly the orchid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I enjoy the walks and especially living with a few orchids...both have been something bright in my life these days.

      Delete
  4. I never realized how much stuff had to be handled to buy a new phone, figure out how to use it and keep it working. Good job on getting that stuff all done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These new gadgets have so many things that can go wrong that a warranty can come in very handy. I need to think about a new phone. I have an iPhone 7 that's running out of space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use mine for photography and for web surfing, and it's been in use for three or so years now.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.