Update about blogCa

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Ducks and geese and snowy mountaintops

 Hi, it's Thursday in Black Mountain NC! And this series at Lake Tomahawk is from the day after our snowfall on Feb 2...so these photos are from Feb 3.

The water was flowing into the drainage channel.


This had been my first choice for the header...until I checked it when it was enlarged that much...and it seemed a bit fuzzy.

The ducks had decided to stay out of the wind. This is where they usually come to snooze after their morning feeding.


There were quite a few Canada Geese and Mallards that morning!


I'm including my header photo here, because in a few weeks I'll be changing it (after all, I know something else will come along that's of interest) and I don't want to lose it. I do delete the original photos after I post them to the blog, but still have several thousand saved in my computer's "Photos" file.


So why did the geese and ducks take off across the lake at that time? A family with a child was on the other side, and they started tossing some food out. These are wild fowl, but have been around here long enough to know that's a good thing, any time of day!


Today's quote:

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty.


—John Muir


20 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Beautiful views of the lake, duck and geese. The snowcapped mountains are a lovely sight. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowcapped mountains surprise me, but I think you did say that it was justa day after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes these mountains keep showing snow for a few days, and sometimes it is gone with the wind...excuse me for borrowing Miss Mitchell's phrase.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. It is what draws so many of us to live in this small town.

      Delete
  4. Love the snow-capped mountains there. Wow! Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm thrilled when everything comes together like this.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm pleased to see it when opening the blog.

      Delete
  6. I love that quote and the photos of the snowy hills! Beautiful! We're expecting a Snowmaggedon today and tomorrow. We don't do very well with that much snow, so I'm not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes just staying inside is the best way to "weather a storm." I didn't go out when the roads were snowy.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous mountain scenes. I can spend many hours looking at geese and ducks too. Here we get more variety of both during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to get to watch them, and share photos of their antics.

      Delete
  8. Trees and water and snowy mountains are a winning combination. The water fowl are like an exclamation point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing them, but apparently Black Mountain has hired a dog which will chase the geese and ducks away from the lake...at least where they leave lots of droppings.

      Delete
  9. nice, lovely shots of your nature and the mountains. I hope it will be time for the geeze to return to Sweden soon. I am waiting for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are halfway to the summer homes for most geese and ducks...though some just stay in this area year round. I like when they nest around here and bring their goslings to the lake. But there are also lots of wildlife which likes to eat the little guys.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, the Blue Ridge Parkway is along the side of one of those mountains, near the top. It affords lots of pretty views, but is unfortunately closed during the winter.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.