Update about blogCa

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Walking on Walker Rd.

As I started up the hill from our driveway into the apartment complex, I saw a sunlit post which I'd never noticed before. However it's not exactly new. And what the heck kind of barrier did it connect to? Closing off the driveway to the apartments? 


It's in a very strange place, in the middle of a bunch of overgrown vines and grasses.


I love seeing all the bamboo mixed in with the pines in the small amount of forest.


Looking to the tops, some greenery continues in the bamboo as well as the pines...a surprise after many nights of frost.


At someone's mailbox is a tiny turquoise plastic chair. Perhaps for visitors to find them easily?


The destination of my walk, the dead end with 4 driveways - I can only see the two closest houses. I walk around the circle and turn back down the hill. Having accomplished this big hill is one way I know I'm doing good things for my heart by walking like this.


Today's quote:

"Putting something called Nature on a pedestal and admiring it from afar does for the environment what patriarchy does for the figure of Woman. It is a paradoxical act of sadistic admiration."

Timothy Morton 



 

18 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that more people are walking now and seeing things that they would never have looked at from a car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could walk more than I currently am...but soon the weather will improve...at least based on past Februaries.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Barbara
    It looks like you had a nice day for a walk, it has been so cold here. It is snowing again too. Your walks are good for your heart, keep it up! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I enjoy my walks, and will soon be making them a bit longer. For these dreary days of cold and wet, I'm doing a stretching class on line from the YMCA. I could also do the cardio workout, but haven't really wanted to push myself. Don't know why. I do prefer to walk where I can see nature as an exercise.

      Delete
  3. ...sounds like the place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, as well as the other places I've been to, some of which get pretty boring. But being out in nature in the sun and fresh air is the main goal.

      Delete
  4. I think a trumpet should be playing The Last Post to accompany this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what that piece of music is...but I think it's to celebrate my having accomplished this small thing...I hope.

      Delete
  5. A lovely walk there. That little chair by the mailbox made me think of a child waiting for the mailman to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's not facing the road, it catches one's eye, but doesn't seem inviting.

      Delete
  6. Bamboo is so unexpected as ell as being quite photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few stands of it that I've seen lately. Now I can't remember where the other one was, but apparently its invasive quality is somewhat under control.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks...I have really turned into a slug this week...need to push myself out the door whenever I can.

      Delete
  8. That's a nice walk you took, it looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very peaceful, I've seen some of the residents returning home some of the times I've walked there...and they wave. I may not be the only elderly woman who walks their block.

      Delete
  9. It does appear things were quite well for your walk. Terrific shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you thought the little phone shots came out well...I've now a new phone, so will have to see if it's any different. People have said it has a better camera...we shall see.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.