Update about blogCa

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

The buzzard

 

I thought at first perhaps an eagle...


It isn't an osprey, and is too big for a hawk. Solo vultures are rare...but perhaps. I'm just not sure.
And then I noticed the little Mallard sitting in the overflow stream, which I was standing right next to on the dam. 

Someone else took his photo with a zoom, and posted it on Facebook. Their comment was that he had been entangled with fishing line, and various people gave suggestions to get some wildlife people to rescue it. I was sorry then that I hadn't noticed him being caught. And then it kept me from falling asleep that night, thinking about how he was the object of the buzzard's desire. As soon as people went away, I would imagine the duck might have become dinner. I felt some emotional connection to the duck, that his suffering before his death was somehow something I could have empathy toward.

Another FB posting earlier last week told of a bear cub who had been hit by a car, and dragged himself to the shelter of a nearby restaurant, in the night. When the owner came to open up for breakfast, they found him, and eventually he was put down and removed by some wildlife agency. In the meantime, the police had known about him suffering there all night, and just left him there. The owner was not happy that they hadn't been contacted about it. Again, it kept me awake for hours, thinking of the bear, then the duck. The restaurant is located a few blocks from me, across the street from a friend's home.

So I'm not sharing pithy sayings on FB any more. I liked when friends would "like" my shared things...and occasionally I would post a link to my blogs. But I think I'm going to back out of FB pretty much now. I rather prefer hearing from bloggers here actually. We've become a community of friendly people. There aren't any hateful postings (that I've received) about anti-mask wearing people. I guess they are all celebrating their good health with their tribal leader who lost the election somewhere else.

I recently read a fellow blogger's post (Forest and Field) where the remains of a predator's meal were examined to determine what had died, and by whom. It was very interesting, from a scientific viewpoint. 

My empathy towards animals suffering is much the same as I've had when my pets needed to be put down. And it is the same feeling, only slightly removed, when I consider all the Covid patients who've suffered for so long in hospitals, and then died alone and without any closure with their loved ones. I've got a semblance of need as a human being to decrease the conscious suffering of any live being.


Today's quote:
There is always more goodness in the world than there appears to be, because goodness is of its very nature modest and retiring.
 -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, biographer (28 Sep 1868-1956) 

6 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It is sad to hear about any animal or bird suffering. Great capture of the vultures soaring and the pretty sky. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad stories about the mallard and the bear. It is heartbreaking when critters suffer especially when they have been struck by cars or ensnared by human crap. We used to see sea lions and otters struggling with and entangled in crab pot ropes. We called Wildlife Rescue and they would always come and help.
    I agree with you about Facebook. I check in to see what my friends are posting, but I so much prefer blogging. It's much kinder world here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad story about the mallard and bear. I found a small bird one time on a street. He flew into a shop window and knocked himself out. I went in to the shop and told the owner who got a box to put him until he came too. I left facebook 3 years ago and haven't been back or missed it. It got annoying and I was just sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to think about animals suffering and dying but then I have to remind myself that it's part of the cycle of life. (a part I don't like to witness) I haven't been as active on Facebook as I used to be--too much anger, too many politics, so much ugliness. I prefer funny stories of others' lives, cute memes, and pictures of people's pets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are empathetic.
    I use FB primarily for friends, family, and community.
    Twitter is more of a newsfeed for me.
    Blogging is more important to me.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.