Update about blogCa

Monday, December 21, 2020

Country Ranch Green Beans and Potatoes (reposted)

This is a repost, because Thurs. night when I tried to date it, all my Google programs froze up.

...And here's a lovely lunch that I fixed the first day I felt like being back in the kitchen...after 2 days on antibiotics and a small dose of a steroid. I admit I only made half a recipe. It was pretty darn good. It comes from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies. The link is in the title below.



SPICE/HERB INGREDIENTS

1 ½ tsp garlic powder 

1 tsp onion powder 

2 Tbsp dried minced onions 

½ tsp ground mustard powder

1 tsp dried parsley

¼ tsp dried dill 

1 tsp dried chives or 1 Tbsp fresh chopped chives 

¼ tsp smoked paprika 

COUNTRY RANCH GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES

1 cup yellow onions, finely diced

2 Tbsp garlic, minced 

1 cup vegetable broth 

1 cup water (or more broth) 

2 tsp nutritional yeast 

¼ tsp baking soda 

1 lb baby red-skinned potatoes, halved 

1 lb fresh green beans 

¾ tsp sea salt or to taste

¼ tsp black pepper or to taste 

2 tsp apple cider vinegar 

2 to 3 tsp Dijon mustard 

1 15.5oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 

Freshly chopped parsley (optional)



How to Make It


1 Place all the spice/herb ingredients (except sea salt and pepper) into a bowl, mix to combine, and set aside. 

2 In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the finely diced onions and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are tender. Splash vegetable broth or water as needed to prevent sticking. 

3 Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute. 

4 Add the remaining vegetable broth, water, nutritional yeast, and the spice/herb mix. Stir well to incorporate, bring to a boil, and then immediately lower to a simmer. Add the baking soda and stir to combine.

5 Stir in the baby potatoes, then layer the green beans on top of the potatoes. It is important that the baby potatoes are on the bottom, submerged or nearly submerged in the liquids. The green beans should sit on top and will steam/cook while the potatoes cook in the liquid. 

6 Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes. 

7 Remove the lid and add the sea salt, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and cannellini beans. 

8 Stir well to combine, then continue to simmer uncovered for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, or until the baby potatoes are perfectly tender.

9 Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 7 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to further develop. 

10 Serve with freshly chopped parsley.


8 comments:

  1. Barbara's changes, mostly due to what was on hand. I used yukon gold potatoes. I skipped the onion (though the dried ones gave it plenty of onion flavor). I used cilantro instead of dill and chives, and didn't have paprika. In the end I think I'd cut the vinegar in half...like the rest of my recipe...where I had most of the herbs but only half of the veggies. It was a wonderful 4 servings for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so I've saved this recipe here. May make it again sometime...

      Delete
  2. ...new to me, but it sure sounds and looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the sauce with a mustard flavor...maybe I'll lower the amount of mustard next time I make it.

      Delete
  3. It looks like comfort food to me! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'd probably eat anything if it had potatoes in it!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.