Update about blogCa

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Vegan pear spice cake

This fat-free one layer spice cake is an altered version of the one I found on the web. I kind of changed a few things!

 

Barbara's version

2 organic pears, peeled and cut into small pieces

1-3/4 c whole wheat flour

3/4-1 c regular white flour (set aside half of this flour to add only if the batter seems too runny when all is mixed together...I added all of it to mine. This is about a half again what was called for in my original recipe, but I found my batter at pancake consistency, so added enough flour to get a thicker cake batter consistency)

1 Tbs. cornstarch (No idea why this is in recipe...you might leave it out.)

1-1.2 teasp. baking soda

1 teasp. ground ginger (I couldn't find mine, so used grated fresh, but I think the ground would be best)

1/2 teasp. sea salt

1/2 teasp. ground cinnamon

1/4 teasp. ground cloves

1/4 c. applesauce (I cut this down from original recipe which called for a whole cup...and with the consistency problem I think a smaller amount is preferable)

1/2 c. molasses (I used dark, it could work with light also, and because it's such a dominating flavor, if I make this cake again, I think I'll cut the molasses down to 1/4 c.)

1/2 c. pure maple syrup

1 teasp. pure vanilla extract

1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts) optional

powdered sugar (optional)

-------------

preheat oven to 350 degrees, cut pears into small pieces and set aside

in a large bowl stir together the first 7 ingredients (through cloves) In a medium bowl stir together the next four ingredients (through vanilla). 

Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture and combine 

Stir in chopped pear and nuts (if you use them)

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. You might sprinkle cake lightly with powdered sugar for extra sweetness (I didn't do this).

Serve warm or cooled.

Other note: I used 1/2 c. of almond flour instead of total whole wheat. I wouldn't do that again, since there were noticeable flakes of the almond flour in my first bite!

Enjoy...and let me know your experience with this recipe, should you try it or a variation thereof!


Today's quote:

For years, every morning, I drank
from Blackwater Pond.
It was flavored with oak leaves and also, no doubt,
the feet of ducks.

And always it assuaged me
from the dry bowl of the very far past.

What I want to say is
that the past is the past,
and the present is what your life is,
and you are capable
of choosing what that will be,
darling citizen.

So come to the pond,
or the river of your imagination,
or the harbor of your longing,

and put your lips to the world.
And live
your life.


Mary Oliver

10 comments:

  1. Hello the spice cake sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I need to buy some ground cloves and ground ginger to add to my spice rack. Take care, Happy Sunday! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tiny bottles are probably 10 years old, because I don't bake that often. But I don't think these things go bad. Happy Sunday to you too.

      Delete
  2. ...I hope that the coming week finds you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake sounds wonderful! I love how you are embracing the new diet. And I love the MO poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a few newsletters from vegan sources helps...though I pass on more than 2/3 of the recipes. I do love the MO poetry.

      Delete
  4. The cake sounds good although I don't like pears. I think they would be OK in something though. I love Mary Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you could leave out the pears and go with raisins, or craysens, (cranberries) or even just nuts. Me too, on Mary Oliver's poetry!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.