Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Thursday, September 5, 2024

The unique architecture this week

 The House of Mugs - Collettsville (Caldwell County), North Carolina

A cabin completely covered in coffee mugs, where visitors are welcome to leave one of their own-if they can find an empty nail.
It all started over 15 years ago with a simple box of 15 mugs picked up at a flea market by Avery and Doris Sisk. At the time, they figured their home could use a little sprucing up, and decided to hang up the mugs for decoration. Over the years more were added, and 200,000 mugs later, the House of Mugs is a legend.
There's no charge to see the collection, but donations are welcome. To see the Cup House, follow NC Route 90 north/west out of Collettsville for about half a mile and turn left onto Old Johns River Road. Follow for about 2 & 1/2 miles to a gravel road turn-off on the right. Bear right onto the gravel road and follow all the way to the end. No GPS out there, but locals will generally know where the Cup House is, in case you need to ask for directions.

---------------------

Bob Hope House;
John Lautner's Modernist Masterpiece 💕
Palm Springs, California - 1979
The former home of iconic TV and comedy legend Bob Hope. For decades, Bob Hope was so well-known that he was given the Guinness World Record for being the “most honored entertainer in history.”


The home is a masterpiece; using famous architect (John Lautner ) who apprenticed under architectural legend Frank Lloyd Wright before becoming a prolific commercial building designer in California as well as a popular residential architect amongst the Hollywood crowd.

The massive 23,366 sq ft (2,190 m2) home is the largest ever designed by John Lautner's California Modernist style combined with the powerful natural shape of a volcano, the building’s vast copper roof slopes upward from three points to meet at a crater-like circular skylight opening over the home’s spacious interior terrace.





---------------------

Personal note: I've found some comments from friends on blogger that have not turned up, but eventually are marked in the spam folder. Today, Sept. 4, I just ok'd a comment from Aug. 29. This is crazy. Why would my commenters efforts to respond be pulled and held for that long? Surely there's nothing we're talking about that could be on the list of "bad things," (notice I didn't use the terms that usually denote things of interest to those who wish harm to the US or anyone else!)

My medical conditions are being considered...use my eye drops before nebulizing and see if that helps with the moisture in the air that has been stinging. See about possibly having a pulmonology rehab recommendation, where I could work on increasing stamina, and breathing. At this point I'm coughing very often and can't walk very far without getting out of breath. BUT
The weather has changed into this wonderful cool dryness. I'm in heaven, if only I could inhale deeply! No, I'm in heaven!


Today's quote:

My religion is nature. That’s what arouses those feelings of wonder and mysticism and gratitude in me.

OLIVER SACKS


22 comments:

  1. The cup is cute! I love the John Lautner house. Love the quote! Hubby and I both say nature is our religion. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know we worship in the same house...the sacred wonder of nature.

      Delete
  2. ...The House of Mugs would be a great destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, but don't expect me to wander over there! You can do it. It's your idea.

      Delete
  3. The House of Mugs is SO cool. I have too many mugs....
    The Bob Hope House is very special.
    Not being able to breathe properly sounds very scary - hope you find help/a solution soon.
    For my eyes at night I use Cornerergel, that works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know alternative therapies. I've thrown out/sold/given away dozens of mugs!

      Delete
  4. Who needs a house that big? It is more suitable for a museum. As to the mug house - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a kick out of the mug house, as compared to the multi-million-dollar architect designed (dare I say it, monstrosity.) Well not a place I'd ever live, sorry Bob.

      Delete
  5. It is a great example to all of us how you carry on. I enjoyed the mugs and the rest! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, Blogger seems to go back to find old comments to add to spam, so that comment might not have been in there all of that time. But of course, it might have been.

    When Sue blogged, her handle was Cuppa. That house would be a good visit for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea for Miss Sue Cuppa to have a visit to the mug house!

      Delete
  7. The house of Mugs is a beauty, don't have to worry about not having a cup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they don't catch rainwater and grow mosquitoes, though.

      Delete
  8. The Bob Hope house is amazing--don't believe I'd ever seen a picture. Not exactly cozt though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen it either, and the architect was a student of Frank Lloyd wright, I think. But it's very different in style!

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful architecture! The cup house is a hoot.
    I hope you have success with your medical conditions. It is such a juggling act, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Modernist building is impressive. I don’t think I would want cups on the side of my house, but maybe on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do the people still live in this house of mugs? I wouldn't want to. ;-) I'd rather have a mug swap. Imagine so many mugs! All the best! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  12. I might need to pay a visit to the house of mugs. What a great house! I have seen the Bob Hope house and wow....what a structure. I love the design. Thank you for linking up and I hope you continue to get better. I LOVE the quote at the end :)

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.