Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Friday, September 13, 2024

Mines - after all I live in the mountains

I live very near where coal once was mined all along the Appalachian Mountains. And there are still silica mines nearby as well. 


Miners at home



I shared this photo with my Labor Day post.

Miners at the end of their shift - it's just staggering to see something like this.

 Sepia Saturday this week suggests this:

Last March Sepia Saturday also used the meme "down" with miners. Here was my post about the Museum of Minerals that I shared. "DOWN"

And I also posted more about the NC Museum of Minerals in several other posts...try More Big Rocks.




Driving up US 221 in Spruce Pine NC

Open cuts mines of mountains aren't hidden at all. Spruce Pine has a very big one where felspar and high grade silica is mined for use in many electronics (like your cell phone.)

 A gravel mine is within 5 miles of my home, probably in Swannanoa, and those who live near it hear a blast occasionally from the charges to open more areas. I see the dump trucks full going along my roads as well, driven by maniac young men who must always be late.

----------------

my status as of 9/12/24:


Thanks for stopping by this Friday, where I'm sharing a Sepia Saturday meme (on topic this time!)

My health is improving! A big thank you for those who have given me emotional support through the ether of the world wide web! I'm going slowly and hope to be able to do more fun things soon. Started with going to the Senior Lunch program every day this week. And doing minimal grocery shopping when I couldn't survive without it. But no fresh orange juice, nor bananas while I just had to survive without blueberries on the granola, life did demand a trip.

The weather has been incredible! In the 70's during the afternoon, sunny, and in the 50s at night. All my windows are cracked most of the time for natural air to breathe. Yesterday we were supposed to feel the outer effects from hurricane Francine...with cloudy skies and some rain coming through. The high temp. yesterday was 70.

-----------------

Gazebo update as of Sept. 12, 2024 - lots of white paint! Oh dear, no pretty stained wood.



Today's quote:

The period of completion, rather than being just an act of finality, is also one of transition.



13 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love the views of the mountains but I wish those mining cuts were not there, looks so sad.
    The gazebo looks pretty. I am so glad you are feeling better. The weather is nice for taking walks now. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so. It's very different from the last one.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the photos, all of them! 70 is the most perfect temperature- great for a stroll or, for me, sitting on the deck watching air. Sad that folks had no choice but hardship in this one precious life- Do overs, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked seeing photos from the way things were, and are around here. I love the idea of sitting on a deck watching air. Do you ever get to see or hear birds while there?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I want to choose my own kind of produce, and yes, over in Asheville there is delivery, or pick up at the parking lot of several stores. I am not able to make a list and know from that which brand of toilet paper is on sale...as well as which avocados will ripen tomorrow or never. I guess if I ate more frozen and canned foods, delivery might work. But my choices are mainly around the outside of the store, yogurt, fresh baked breads, fruit and veggies. I seldom purchase meat. There is plenty available in the lunch program so I tend to go veggie for dinner and breakfast.

      Delete
  5. It is shocking to see the circumstances the miners lived and worked in! In certain Asian countries working conditions in the textile industry are similar. And as long as we buy this clothing ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The conditions those miners had to endure was awful. The photo of the open mining shows how ugly that can be. The Carson Hill (gold) Mine in Calaveras County, CA has long been an eyesore to folks driving south on highway 49. The mine has been closed for years and growth of grass & shrubs has slowly taken over some of the cuts into the hillside, but it's still an ugly blemish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a fine match for our theme especially with your picture of the quarry/mine in Spruce Pine. Modern coal mines are supposedly more efficient and safer, but they still destroy the landscape in an ugly way. I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better. Let's hope the late summer stays pleasant for a few weeks more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you are doing better. Healing does take time as we age, so going slowly and steadily as you are doing is definitely the way to go. Thank goodness you are a blogger who can continue to create even when under the weather -- such as with this post. The mine photos are incredible and disturbing, a reminder that so much of what we take for granted -- fuel, food, a roof over our heads even travel -- comes from the labor of workers like the miners you show here.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.