Update about blogCa

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Two photos

 


New York City 1917

What do these two photos have to do with each other?

The first is my favorite ale. I have a couple of cans of it left. I do prefer bottles, but can't find them usually, and this is my first caned experience. Still pretty nice.

Second photo is my feelings having lived through about a week of cabin fever. No not quite. I had two days inside, then 2 days of carefully going out on short outings, and then another day inside. Who am I to complain? I had electricity keeping me warm. I had water flowing in the pipes. But I feel the blahs.

Last night my internet cut off. It was at my bedtime, but I checked several devices, even getting out of bed and being chilly to do so. I had to calm my blood pressure down as I imagined talking in the morning on the phone to the cable company. No way was I about to begin that conversation before bedtime. I wished to sleep.

So I did. And in the morning I found everything connected again. Sigh. 

I avoided one of those monumental phone calls with pressing a dozen buttons for this service or another on various menus. 

And my blood pressure was good too!

So why do I have the blahs?

They usually wait till February. I know some of my friends use sunlight lamps to avoid SAD...seasonal affective disorder. Is this it?

Not much sunlight this week. I'd better make sure to take my vitamin D. And perhaps have an ale with my lunch! I wonder what that will be...

Among my "going to sleep thoughts" I considered having a life without any internet services. No TV would mainly mean missing the local news...most national and international are on line...woops, I'd miss those too.

And I'd miss Jeopardy. I've been thrilled with the incredible knowledge and skill of the trans woman who's won so much lately.

If I had no internet, I could still use my phone. So I could text people. And I could call them. My laptop could be carried to the several wi-fi hot spots in town...the library and the Dripolator. If I could get there depending on road conditions of course. I'm grateful to still have my car!

And no internet would mean no blogs. I read other's blogs in the morning, then sometime during the day I will gather some photos and post a new one myself. Nice bookends, and of course sometimes answer comments. My old iPad doesn't carry blogger. I don't think my phone does either. No way I would type on that little keypad daily. Oh well, I'm so glad to be here now.

I think I will continue my gratitude with a great big sigh of thanks to having the internet. 

Today's quote:

Life is a gift that is given and will be taken. How we choose to spend our time here is our gift to life. It is our way of saying "thank you life" for the gift.

IMUETINYAN UGIAGBE

10 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I get the cabin fever in the winter months. I do not enjoy the cold weather, snow and ice.
    We usually miss the TV watching and internet if it goes out, luckily I have books downloaded onto my Kindle.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...cabin fever is a yearly issue, it hasn't hit me yet. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, 'what I call my mountains out of molehills' mind set.
    I have SAD and fight it every year. I use a lamp, which the kitties think is just the right amount of warmth to cuddle up to. I take St. John's wort, and Vitamin D. I also go out to feed the birds (and squirrels) every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the sun in winter. I wait and wait for February when the pagan spring really begins. Interestingly it's also when the sun is high enough at this latitude to derive Vitamin D from 20 minutes of sunlight. Spring is coming, and the return of the light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually read most of my blogs by phone as opposed to on my desktop.

    My blahs are not seasonal in nature. At the moment they are not around, which suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I get the blahs, I go for a walk somewhere or read my book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the blahs too. We're in a cycle of fog which is claustrophobic for me. It's also cold (for here) so I feel like I can't get out as easily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t love beer, but I would really miss the Internet. Glad you didn’t have to miss it. As for blogging I do all mine in the morning (except for now which is almost evening) and that’s why I have a ton of new posts whenever I do check. Like now. Sigh. 🥸

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saffron is a good mood lifter.

    I would miss the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can sympathise with your experience of trying to make contact with an organization in the phone. I have had plenty of those threats to blood pressure in recent years - you will need your Gaelic Ale after that.

    With apologies my White Family post that you commented on, I must have hit published by mistake. It was a title prompt to myself for a future post.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.