Update about blogCa

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Rewind from the past - part two

 I've posted a few of the old photos that I recently started scanning, on Three Family Trees blog. But I like sharing a few of them here too!

For my Canadian blogging friends, I must share our trip to the Montreal World's Fair of 1967. (Corrected date, it was a typo, glad to have readers who comment and correct me!)


My husband and I drove with his brother and brother's partner and camped on an island in the St. Laurence Waterway. Big ships were passing by all night! But here we are getting breakfast ready! My back is turned (in white and yellow dress) and Rick is raising the spatula, while Claudette is paying attention to something or another.

Here there are three of us working, well, the two women are...and Rick is watching. That isn't a white bird by his elbow but a place where another photo stuck to this one in the album...but I did want to keep this photo anyway. My hubby was taking photos, but I think soon joined us. We had a lot of walking to do that day!


A birdseye view of the World's Fair, giving a sense of the scale of it.




Here I'm looking toward the pavilion from Mauritius, which is where Claudette is from. Rick met her when he worked there before returning to the states.


Rick was an architect in MA. We all enjoyed seeing Habitat.


The weather varied from when I wore my sweater in the morning, until this jump into a fountain in the afternoon!

I don't know if we went back and collapsed at the tent, or drove home to CT that night. Maybe my ex-husband will remember, or his brother. They are older than I am, so who knows if they have better memories! Rick married another woman a few years later, so Claudette isn't available to ask.


Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week.

Today's quote:
It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence. 
-William Kingdon Clifford, mathematician and philosopher (4 May 1845-1879)









26 comments:

  1. Hello, Barbara
    The World' Fair sounds like a fun time. I went to the World Fair when it was in New York. Great memories and photos.
    Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also went to the New York one, a lot of walking and learning involved...summertime heat as well! Thanks for stopping over here to comment!

      Delete
  2. I was there, but you are two years off. It was in 67. A friend and I spent a umber of days at the fair. In Canada, we referred to it as Expo 67. Montreal later had a NL baseball team called the Expos. That team is now the Washington Nationals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we called it Expo 67 also...just a typo, which I've corrected. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. ...I remember when Habitat was built, it seemed amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was amazing at the time...and we all decided we wouldn't live there.

      Delete
  4. A look back in time. Never made that Expo but do remember a bit of the World's fair in NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a wonderful experience, but so many things to see it was all a blur.

      Delete
  5. I went to the World's Fair in Seattle when I was young. Early 60s? I remember how futuristic and scary it was to a small child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the one KNoxville TN had, but moved there within a decade. Only one building still remained of the whole area. I wonder if any of the other World's Fairs remain.

      Delete
  6. A great look back! I was at the World's Fair too. I went with my high school class. I remember seeing Habitat and thought it was very unusual. Had a great time and memories. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so no photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you remember your trip to Montreal. I had forgotten about these photos, so was glad to find them.

      Delete
  7. My parents went to that. It was years before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there haven't been any in many years! But I moved to St. Louis as a child and never met a soul (that I know of) who'd been to the St. Louis World's Fair. It had been 50 years before I was there. But I did see photos!

      Delete
  8. That is a rather large 'boat' passing by in the second camping photo! I can't imagine what that would be like? Then again, I had an apartment only 100 feet or so from a main railway where trains went by every 2 hours 24/7. You get used to things like that, though. That photo of the Habitat is really something. Don't know it I'd like to live in something like that?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those large boats did surprise us...sleeping in a tent and hearing the loud speakers of ships! We got a little sleep I guess.

      Delete
  9. I wonder how many "modern" ideas from the fair actually changed the world. I'm still waiting for my flying car to take me to the monorail station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I just realized there haven't been any World's Fairs since the 70s...at least that I've hear of. Fast trains exist all over Europe and Japan; it's technology which is available, but somehow the US hasn't produced that.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to have a Sepia vacation in warmer climes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of choices we make...and learn whatever we wish from them!

      Delete
  11. That Habitat didn't quite catch on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief actually. Nature still is more important than just constructed dwellings.

      Delete
  12. I've never been to a World's Fair but I have been reading about some of those even further back in history. The Habitat looks interesting - but I wouldn't feel tempted to live there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, most of us would prefer to live in more "human dimensions" of a home.

      Delete
  13. A lovely set of photographs recalling happynnostalgic family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely Photos, and that quote at the end is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.