Update about blogCa

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Reading is for...

escape.
fun?
learning...
relaxation
diversion
laughs
inspiration

OK, most of those, and seldom learning these days, if I'm totally honest.

I like reading adventurous fiction, usually murder mysteries. (Hello Vicki Lane!)

Recently I finished a bunch of Sarah Paretsky stories of V. I. Warshawski, and some of Lee Child's many adventures of Reacher. They are enjoyable and affirming that the good guy wins against really awful and huge odds. I never imagine Reacher as being Tom Cruise, who played him in a couple of movies...the real Reacher was a huge giant of a man and Cruise just doesn't measure up.  So he's somewhat like Hagrid, (of Harry Potter adventures) but more nimble and less hairy, and acclimated to the US Army.

Last night I started a new audio book, from the library. It's a John Le Carre' novel...which means murder and mahem in a spy type venue. His real name is David John Moore Cornwell, born in 1931.

I have read a few of his more famous works, but this one was published in 2019.  So I was interested to see how he approached spying in the time of Brexit, tRump, and various changes in the British/Rusian spy adventures...but just before the Covid-19 pandemic. I'm sure he's already working on something about these times. Goodness, just look how old he is!



I found a few interesting facts about John Le Carre' on Wikipedia Here.

And I expect to find many terms that will have little meaning to me, not having the benefit of being British. But the real reason I'm reading this audio book is that it's being read by John Le Carre, a.k.a. David John Cornwell. His voice is pleasing without too much of an accent for my American ears.

It's only a bit over 9 hours of listening.

Today's quote:
You are the sky. Everything else -- it's just the weather. 
-Pema Chodron, Buddhist nun and author (b. 1936)

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read Le Carre. I do have a memory of beginning one of his and not finding it to my taste. Decades ago, however, I did read quite a bit of Ludlum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I wish that reading was easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I do love a good mystery. Le Carre is new to me, I will see if my library has this ebook.
    Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Le Carre but I love Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series, Lynda LaPlante is good too, Ian Rankin's Rebus series is great. I've been reading those this year to keep my sanity. Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE: I didn't finish the book mentioned above. It just kept feeling like it was developing, adding new characters all the time, but never really having an identifiable plot.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.