Update about blogCa

Thursday, July 30, 2020

What's so funny?

Blogger friend AC (his blog here) has posted several times about videos with people having falls, trips and mainly falls...in order to see if anything seems funny to us. Most of the comments didn't see humor in others' suffering. The animals which had trips and falls were sometimes seen as funny however.

I must admit I've been looking around my life to see what I laugh at. There's not much. And with my cough triggered usually by a laugh, I tend to do a hee hee hee instead. But I did experience some fun the other day at the Rehab program.

We were having our photos taken, one at a time, and apparently G. walked behind me while I was posing. She was called out as photo-bombing me. Then I sat down and the rest of the group took their turns. Then I was called out as photo-bombing everyone else, since my seat in the waiting room was in the line of sight of each of the photos being taken. What? Yes, I had sat right by the doorway. But I was there before he started the photos. So it was a typical incident of being in the wrong place at the right time.

And the rest of the day, I was either pointing at G. and calling her the "photo-bomber" or she was pointing at me in the same vein. At least we knew we were laughing then. Wearing masks continually made it a bit hard to know when anyone smiled at each other. But everyone in the group did have a chuckle.

And now I've already become one of the class clowns! Oh my, what a reputation to live up to. It's all about my anxiety though. Which is what we often use humor for...dealing with the situations that are hard to face.




Incidentally...I often laugh at writings which include these kinds of events. And some TV comedians are really just funny all by themselves. We said goodbye to Regis Philben a few days ago, and the way the universe schedules things, on Jeopardy the next night was a rerun of a Celebrity Guest show with him and Carol Burnett on it. Add memories of Tim Conway, and I immediately am ready to laugh.

What do you think as funny these days?

Today's Quote:
Don't go back to sleep.
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.

You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the
doorsill where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
Don't go back to sleep.


—Rumi

9 comments:

  1. Conway was one slapstick type of guy who was funny. I am not sure how hard I laughed, but I did see the humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the comedians who do physical humor were very funny...but those who just do stand-up can also be good, though I'm not a comedy club person (can't stay up that late.)

      Delete
  2. ...some humor never seemed humorous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I read a quote "If laughter is the best medicine, laughing at oneself should be a wonder pill." The old comedians were funny about silly stuff, today they are making fun of people, like our president. Take care,stay safe! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the slams at people, or other ideas than the audience's - leave me cold.

      Delete
  4. That's a good question, what's funny these days? Mmmm. I'm not sure I know. Maybe I'll ask google. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Tom and Eileen. There's not much to laugh at these days. Making fun of people is sad if you're looking for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy word humor--even puns. Or contradictory stuff like the notice that says PRIVATE SIGN--DO NOT READ. I want one of those to post along our driveway.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.