Update about blogCa

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Life and water

I must add a bit of sharing my life here too. A day where I admitted I felt a bit depressed, I had talked for a while with a friend who had some good thoughts for me.

Then I had a call from someone at the parent hospital of the caridiac program's administration, I think she said Pre-registration, last Monday. She wanted to confirm my appointment for Rehab, for next Thurs the 16th at 11. I said no, I had an appointment on Tues the 14 at 1:30. And she told me a referring doctor named Brian. I've never seen a Brian in my cardiology treatment.

I should have known she was off base from the get go. She didn't ask my birthdate, just that "Was this was Barbara Rogers?" That's usually a bad omen. It got worse.

She informed me my insurance wouldn't cover it and I would owe $6000 as I completed the 9 weeks of rehab treatment.  I said no way could I pay that with Social Security income...which of course I earned through my working career, but it's really just barely meeting my needs. She kindly said I could work out payments. And then she said she'd call back, after checking with her supervisor about the appointment dates.

I didn't answer the first call-back, as I'd looked to see how much monthly payments I might be able to make over the next 5 to 10 years...if I'd live that long! And I'd just about figured it wasn't going to be worth it, since I already could look on line and learn a lot of things; vegetarian meals I'm already working on; yogic stretches I may be in a chair-class outdoors again soon; meditation I know how to do if I'd just set it as a priority; a support system is available through my friends at church if I just ask them; easy exercises like walking daily...so I had talked myself out of being in this intensive program. The only thing I don't know how to do is get my heart back to somewhere close to normal again, if that's at all possible. They are the experts on that.

Then I really needed to go to water. I don't know about you, but for me it is calming. It reminds me of my impermanence, as well as the root of life. Yes, it's kind of my church.

So I drove to Flat Creek, and walked just across the bridge from the parking lot. I was thrilled to see rhododendron flowers in bloom. And though it was raining lightly, I stood next to the creek and stared at the rain hitting the surface, and the leaves and flower petals floating gently downstream.

I looked beneath the moving water to the tiny rocks and pebbles and sand that just stay there as the water passes by. Was I like the leaves and petals floating along on the surface, or the stones on the bottom? I don't really know. But thinking like this I felt so grateful to be alive to experience this moment. I took a few photos with my phone.

Then the phone rang, and it was another person from the administration group, and he told me they were working to get the appointment dates straightened out. I repeated I knew and had seen no-one named Brian. I had to ask about the insurance coverage again...I wonder when he would have gotten around to it.

"Oh," he said, "you have a different plan than we thought and it covers 100% of the cost." I expressed my gratitude, but didn't say a thing about the last hour of stress they had caused me.


At no time did I feel angry. I thought that was a bit amazing. I'd been sure all along that there was a mix-up...maybe a different Barbara Rogers...maybe the girl who made my appointment put it down wrong. I am trying so hard to tap into what my heart has to tell me, but it was still silent. At least until I felt the gratitude welling up in me as I stood by the creek in the rain. It was good to be alive.

I admit I was smiling broadly as I drove home.




Today's quote:
It's like, at the end, there's this surprise quiz: Am I proud of me? I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth what I paid?
-Richard Bach, writer (b. 23 Jun 1936)

12 comments:

  1. Sorry about the false lead there. Water can be good for the mental health. It just keep flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOod point, flowing is perhaps what gives me it's particular boost. Just sitting (like lakes) is pretty, but doesn't inspire much.

      Delete
  2. ...the two go hand and hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. We'd have a short existence without water.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Lately it seems stressful now just trying to make a doctor/dentist appointment. The views of the water are calming and peaceful. I hope all goes well with your rehab treatment. Take care! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been just walking a short distance so far, which tires me out for the rest of the day. This new heart stuff is pretty difficult for me. Happy week to you too. I read your blog, but when there are a zillion comments, I miss saying anything. I figure you might like to have some time to do something besides read comments!

      Delete
  4. So very glad that you came out of this calmly. However, you need to speak to someone about avoiding this kind of mix-up. There are probably patients who could not survive the anxiety.
    Toes crossed the rehab works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was slightly annoying. However the biggest shock to my system was when I was standing in the kitchen talking on the phone with my youngest son, who said he'd just gotten married to his partner of 11 years. I had never thought that would happen (and it was for insurance purposes mainly). I berated him that he could have at least told me to sit down first!

      Delete
  5. Lovely story. The Cherokee had/have a ritual of going to water to help wash away problems. That's what you did. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed feel I washed away the lingering depression, at least for that day!

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who loves the sound of flowing water so he bought a mini fountain and loves it. It's very calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are quite nice...and I've got an aquarium which makes constant sound as the water is pumped. Which reminds me, I need to clean it out and replace the filter. After I do the dishes which keep piling up.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.