Update about blogCa

Friday, July 10, 2020

Changing of the blankets.

I've been sleeping under an electric blanket, which no longer works. I carried it along in Nov. to Ohio for a visit to my son's family, knowing I'd be sleeping in the basement. It worked great, but when I got home it wouldn't heat up (which took a couple of days for me to figure out!)

So I've kept the bedroom warmer this winter, and used a second covering at times. But now it's definitely summer, so I threw the sweet blue blanket in the wash and pulled out an old friend. For the last 10 years I had a queen size bed, but it wouldn't fit into this bedroom in this apartment when I moved here 3 years ago. So I purchased a twin size. I wish I'd at least gone for a double, because I'd gladly exchange some floor space for more bed comfort!

I spent many hours knitting this lightweight blanket. I made one for several other relations way back when. I haven't been using this for many years. The reason had to do with my last cat's claws catching in it all the time. So it's been packed away all this time, and since the cat died about 2 years ago, I guess I could try it again.

 And, no, I didn't have a pattern, but kind of made it up as I went along! It was fun.


But strangely enough, it wasn't warm enough for me after 2 night...so I've put the nice clean blue blanket back on the bed. Perhaps I'll put this knit one on top when winter comes!

Today's quote:
“To become fully human means learning to turn my gratitude for being alive into some concrete common good. It means growing gentler toward human weakness. It means practicing forgiveness of my and everyone else’s hourly failures to live up to divine standards. It means learning to forget myself on a regular basis in order to attend to the other selves in my vicinity. It means living so that ‘I’m only human’ does not become an excuse for anything. It means receiving the human condition as blessing and not curse, in all its achingly frail and redemptive reality.”
Casandra Brene' Brown


9 comments:

  1. Hello,

    It is a beautiful blanket. I've been known to double up the blankets in the winter. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...thanks. I used to sleep in fall and spring with windows open...but it kind of depends on air quality and humidity now. Just thinking of fall is strange, since I kind of slipped right into summer this year without knowing it.

      Delete
  2. I cannot think of blankets right now. I slept shirtless and sheetless last night. We keep the AC at 24C/75F, but it’s degrees warmer upstairs. At the moment I am on the back deck enjoying the breeze. It’s really not much cooler than the main floor with the AC on, but I will enjoy being out while I can be. It is 7:42 in the morning, and it will be horrid today. But it will break a little tomorrow and for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about being so hot there. When I grew up in St. Louis I slept like that, only with windows open and an oscillating fan going to make it any bearable.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks...sometimes I'm thrilled when thinking that I wound each stitch around my needles to make it...round needles and so I had very little idea how long or wide it really was. It came out alright though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I actually called it an Afgan, like the one I grew up with that my grandmother made. Her's was shades of orange with black between each bar of color. And I think it was wool, but it worked very well when I was sick lying on the couch all day.

      Delete
  5. The blanket is beautiful. My wife has made a few in the years we have been married. My mother used to make them when I was a kid. It looks nice on your bed, a good fit.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.