Update about blogCa

Friday, July 12, 2019

Teaching teachers


In my life I've taught pottery, watercolor, sketching, goddess history, and some computer uses.  I admire especially those who teach teachers how to teach.  I worked in prevention of substance abuse by teaching some teachers and school counselors how to teach a curriculum or two back in the 80s...and that's the extent of my efforts to teach how to teach.

So I'll just share some photos that were on line by my teacher in sculpting clay, Nan Smith of the University of Florida.  She didn't post these when I got my BFA in ceramics (I don't think there was FaceBook in 1983).  Thanks, Nan, for all the fun and mistakes and corrections and supportive critiques!




Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week!

10 comments:

  1. Did these go in a kiln? Must be some kiln!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the University of Florida had a big car kiln...though I never loaded it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Her work is gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly is. She had not done this large figurative sculpture yet when I was there. I'm thrilled.

      Delete
  3. I'm blown away by the realism of the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are wonderful creations, and I believe she actually makes casts in plaster of the models.

      Delete
  4. Your friend/teacher is a wonderful sculptor. It's rare to see sculpture in work-in-progress form. The head and arm assembly remind me of how the ancient terracotta Chinese warriors were made. Are these the clay models for reproduction in bronze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the actual works, but found it in a U of Florida publication after my graduation. So I don't know but rather doubt that they became bronzes. She does installations, using a large space of the gallery.

      Delete
  5. Such wonderful sculptures -- and capturing the body in motion, too, which is a special talent. And photos of the artist in the studio add dimension to the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing artwork! I'm truly amazed at the way artists in any medium can exactly replicate a recognizable human face!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.