Update about blogCa

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Bees knees

Do you like honey as much a I do? 

And do you worry about the future of agriculture and most plants that rely upon these (and other) pollinators?

I was pleased to read that bees are the most important species on our planet. (By an article by the Science Times HERE.)

But then I read the next paragraph...
The bees have been declared the most important living beings on this planet, the Earthwatch Institute concluded in the last meeting of the Royal Geographical Society of London. However, according to wildlife experts and scientists, the bees have joined the endangered species long list.
The recent studies show a dramatic decline of the bees' number as almost 90 percent of the bee population has disappeared in the last few years. The uncontrolled use of pesticides, deforestation or lack of flowers are the main reasons for their extinction.
And the authors continue with this...
After all, Albert Einstein's say about bees has never been truer. "If the bees disappear, humans would have 4 years to live," the famous physicist said. 

I'll let you read the rest of the article at the link above.  And there's a cartoon about the demise of bees that's been happening for over a decade.

My teaset which I sold, displayed at the Black Mountain Center for the Arts in 2015

I had a vegan friend who would not eat honey because of the industrial agricultural methods of harvesting honey which she thought were abusive to animals. She also would not wear any animal products.

But that was her preferences. Mine are to continue to have honey in my tea, and sometimes even my coffee, and on buttered bread or biscuits, or flavoring so many lovely baked goods. But more than that, I hope they survive for all the plants to be pollinated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.