Update about blogCa

Friday, July 19, 2019

For shame!

Actually I am ashamed to be associated (once again) with the state of North Carolina.  Last time it was the bathrooms issue.  (Yes, the Republican legislature passed a law saying people must use the bathrooms that represented their birth genitalia.)  I also was chagrined at NC for having such low pay for its teachers

This time it was a rally with the president, (Wed. July 17, 2019)  in which many citizens of my state yelled in unison, "Send her back," as Trump looked on smiling.

It was so similar to the way Trumpers yelled about Hillary in the campaign in 2015.

It is so sad that those GOP idiots can be so hateful. (Yes, they come to my mind as idiots at this time.)

Can I in any way forgive them? No.  Hatred and sexism and racism are unforgivable.

I am ashamed to have friends and neighbors who support Trump.

At one time I could respect people who made their own choices, even if their decisions were not based on logic. No longer. Supporting someone who constantly lies and elicits hatefulness is being part of the GOP misogynistic, white supremacist movement. I cannot condone this attitude, nor their actions.
The chant echoed racist tweets from Trump on Sunday that called on four progressive Democratic lawmakers, including Omar, to "go back" and "help fix the totally broken and crime infested" countries "from which they came." Three of the lawmakers — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan — were born in the US.  
Omar, one of the first two Muslim women in US history to serve in Congress, was born in Somalia. She fled her native country as a child because of a bloody civil war and spent some time in a refugee camp in Kenya before coming to the US at the age of 10. Omar became a US citizen when she was 17....
Meanwhile, the president on Monday said he was not concerned that his tweets were being called racist because he said that "many people agree with me." Trump's Wednesday rally, as well as a national poll conducted after the tweets that showed his approval had gone up with Republicans, seemed to support that notion.  
The House on Tuesday passed a resolution condemning Trump over his tweets, with all Democrats and just four Republicans voting in favor of it. The GOP has been overwhelmingly silent in the wake of Trump's racist tweets, which have prompted condemnation from not only US politicians but also world leaders — including those of close US allies.  Source: Business Insider
I am no longer going to call myself a North Carolinian, because it might be inferred that I would have anything in common with those shouting people who couldn't think for themselves to see how wrong their shouts were.

It has to stop. 

Jon Favreua tweeted:

The crowd at Trump’s rally chanting “send her back” after the President viciously and dishonestly attacked Ilhan Omar is one of the most chilling and horrifying things I’ve ever seen in politics.






Ilhan Omar herself quoted Maya Angelou:

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.





5 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree! I don't know how anyone can support this vile person, and yet they do. Members of my own family, including my sister, think he is great. They just laugh when I get mad about anything he does because they think it is funny that he is "pissing off the liberals". That seems to be one of their main reasons for supporting him. It makes me sick. I can't even be around them anymore and that is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families are being torn apart over a person who has very little in the way of leadership qualities, as a matter of my opinion it's like dealing with a very smart truant boy...who thinks he's cute and somehow the GOP thinks that's ok with them because he slams government rather than representing it. It's scary too.

      Delete
  2. Well said, Barb. Yes, there is a segment of my family I simply can't stand to be around because they support this vile man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see Omar leading me into speaking out (finally and directly) against a particular behavior which exemplifies hatred. She reminds me that no matter how many hateful comments are thrown at her, those types of words have been part of her life for years. And she got elected to Congress from Minnesota. So I as a resident of this pitiful southern state can certainly say what I think also. As quoted on her poster, we don't need permission to step into our power.

      Delete
  3. We are living in tragically scary times. I am afraid for the future.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.