Update about blogCa

Monday, July 8, 2019

My spring/summer reads

These are digital books I downloaded free from our library system.  Many of them I listened to also as audio books.

The latest that I enjoyed was Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  I started it in Feb. and had others I was also reading, so didn't get finished in the 14 days of check-out time. So I put it on hold and finally got to finish it last week.  I highly recommend the audio version, with the Nigerian accents, as performed by Adjoa Andoh. It was 17 hours of listening pleasure. I also enjoyed Adichie's novel We Should All Be Feminists earlier this year..

I tried reading Anne Hillerman but didn't have much interest in a coming of age novel Cave of Bones...nor Rock with Wings which I'd read already in the past.  I still like her father's work best.





3 comments:

  1. I really liked Americanah, but Half of a Yellow Sun is just brilliant. Some of my Irish family were living in Nigeria during the Biafra war, one was working as a midwife and a distant cousin was eventually involved in flying people to safety at the dark of the night. He brought a young girl back to Ireland who had suffered terrible burns and my in laws looked after her until she was well enough to return. This was of course a long time before I married into that family but the stories were there and I always wanted to go and visit Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Adjoa Andoh in many British televsion shows. She's really great.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.