Update about blogCa

Monday, September 5, 2022

Reading these books

 

I was glad to learn of author Patti Callahan. My first book of hers that I read was 


"Once Upon a Wardrobe" was about a young woman who interviewed C. S. Lewis to find out how he thought up Narnia, as published in "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Though it was fiction, it related many things that Lewis probably said. I listened to the audio recording of the book, and enjoyed it immensely.

So I was glad to get the second book from the library next, also audio. 


"Becoming Mrs. Lewis" was a longer book, and at times I got a bit bored with the supposed romance happening, but the ending did make up for those many hours of waiting. Again it was fiction, but Callahan had real people to work with, and pointed out how a talented author who became the wife of a famous author was (like many wives of famous men) not given much mention for herself in her husband's history. The boring part for me was the thoughts of spiritual meanings of love between the characters, which seemed to be hashed over and over...with the Greek four kinds of love being set as the definition that was to be used in their lives. I wonder if that was Callahan talking, or if she had any basis for their continued discussions on those definitions...as well as the many Christian teachings and faith questions. Apparently this book came about after finding some writings of the real Joy Davidman, who became Mrs. Lewis.

Our library system just has two more of Callahan's books, and I'm waiting to check them out whenever  available.

Today's quote:

Every age is fed on illusions, lest men should renounce life early and the human race come to an end. 

-Joseph Conrad, novelist (3 Dec 1857-1924)

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! These are two new authors and books for me. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several friends who were interested in this author, especially after the C. S. Lewis books.

      Delete
  2. ...I wish that I enjoyed reading, it's a struggle for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you don't enjoy this pastime. I have switched to audio books mostly, but still have a full bookshelf.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy one or the other of Calahan's books.

      Delete
  4. Whenever I read about interesting books it always makes me wish I had the attention span to be able to read novels again. I've got a haiku attention span these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of funny, but I understand. I've found audio books work for me, but even then I often zone out and replay parts. And with my memory gaps, it's nice to re-read books that were favorites many years ago.

      Delete
  5. So many of our children grew up hearing his stories read to them, then reading them themselves. I had not read his autobiography, and will probably want to read it to see the real events in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my journal up before noon today! Your posts from yesterday and today seem to journal your week pretty well. I enjoy historical fiction and those great mysteries we like!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.