Update about blogCa

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Another Patti Callahan book!

 My latest read...


An enjoyable audio book, which focused on two time periods intertwined throughout the book, the 1830s and the 2000s. The early dates were about a sinking of a ship going from Savannah to Baltimore, off the coast of North Carolina. The later dates were when a museum in Savannah held an exhibit of the artifacts and how that exhibit was researched by three of the main characters.

I always enjoy historic novels...and this one did not disappoint. Callahan is an author I recently discovered in her two works about C. S. Lewis and his family. I wondered how she would work with this very different subject matter.

I have no way to critique the historic aspects of the story, which all seem quite realistic for the period, while slavery was still alive in the south, but soon to be outlawed. The extreme wealth as a result of slave labor that wasn't paid was obvious in the artifacts which were found from the recent discovery of the wreck of the ship in 100 feet of water off North Carolina's coast.

Calahan had already started to research the wreck and the families of Savannah when that discovery of the wreck occurred. In her author's notes following the narrative, she mentioned how that was an extra incentive factor. Much of the book is a discussion by the various characters, modern and ancient, in the questions of fate, luck, and major life changes that happen by catastrophic events.

The question of surviving the survival was a new one to me...that not just returning to one's old life happened, but that each person had major changes, including one young man who went from being a heroic caring person to becoming a slave trader known as the Red Devil.

Today's quote:

Sometimes you can't see yourself clearly until you see yourself through the eyes of others. -Ellen DeGeneres, comedian, TV host, actor, and writer (b. 26 Jan 1958)

17 comments:

  1. I usually skip book reports because it is so unlikely that I will ever read that particular book. I did read this post, but I am not tempted to read that book.😇

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, thanks for sharing this book. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I also enjoy historical fiction, this is an author I am not familiar with and so will look her up in the local library. Currently I have 2 books dealing with the disappearance of author Agatha Christie on my “to read” list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodie, Agatha Christie has been the subject of a new-to-me series on PBS - which I sometimes happen upon. She does make for good mysteries as subject as well as author!

      Delete
  4. ...this news to this dyslexic guy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I actually have moved from audio books to a real read on screen library book this week!

      Delete
  5. I tend not to read book reviews because I no longer have the attention span to read novels anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok. Some like chocolate, some vanilla, and some strawberry!

      Delete
  6. This one looks intriguing--I'm adding it to my "to read" list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good review and suggestion for me. I enjoy historical fiction. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.