Update about blogCa

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Our Labor Day last Monday

 

Last weekend was our Labor Day weekend in the US. This Sepia Saturday photo shows a lot of men and maybe one woman with her head turned away, in line to get on a bus.  I don't think I have any bus photos...oh wait, maybe one horse drawn one...ok, off I go to see what comes up via my cursor and a click or two!






London, Piccadilly, Eros, 1895 (I must assume the statue has something to do with a Greek god of love perhaps called Cupid in modern times) I found this photo on FB, where it was posted without any recognition of the Francis Frith Collection (after enlarging a lot I could read at the bottom, which could easily be cut off. 


And Piccadilly in the 1940s - I never can resist a  then and now shot! Do you see the orange and white double decker on the right? It may have been red, with the film perhaps turning reds to orange.




Mine laborers at the end of their shift.


Normal Rockwell's Labor Day cover for 1943 Saturday Evening Post, Liberty Girl, to honor all the jobs women had been doing while men were off fighting WW II.



Some folks have said unions don't have much place these days in the job market. But I certainly cheered for the workers at Amazon who formed a union, as well as those in Starbucks. The working conditions did need to be improved. And this is the only way a group of workers can have a voice.


Happy Labor Day America!
The first Labor Day was held in 1882. Its origins stem from the desire of the Central Labor Union to create a holiday for workers. It became a federal holiday in 1894. It was originally intended that the day would be filled with a street parade to allow the public to appreciate the work of the trade and labor organizations. After the parade, a festival was to be held to amuse local workers and their families. In later years, prominent men and women held speeches. This is less common now, but is sometimes seen in election years. One of the reasons for choosing to celebrate this on the first Monday in September, and not on May 1, which is common in the rest of the world, was to add a holiday in the long gap between Independence Day and Thanksgiving.

------------------------------------------------------------------


Today's quote:
As the pain that can be told is but half a pain, so the pity that questions has little healing in its touch. -Edith Wharton, novelist (24 Jan 1862-1937)

16 comments:

  1. ...the importance of Labor Day has been lost in the US, now it's just another reason to have a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I didn't even think of that...since I mute all commercials when looking at TV shows (mainly the evening news). And when I read my local paper on line, I skip all ads. So some retailers must bemoan that they never reach me!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Great post and images. Tom's comment above is right on, the holidays are a reason to have a sale. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto what I replied to Tom. I didn't think of the Labor Day sales that apparently do happen for many people but not me!

      Delete
  3. Yay for labor day and Unions!! I am hoping they make a real comeback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always had hope the underdogs would find their power...in whatever difficulty!

      Delete
  4. A good reminder of what the holiday is really supposed to be about! That's interesting about the placement date and the reason for having it in Sept. instead of May. Backing up to your first 2 entries in Piccadilly - I hated to see that beautiful old stately building so horribly commercialized in the 1940s. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice selection for this week. The photo of the mine workers in those elevator cages makes me queasy. Horrible conditions. I have a photo of my great grandparents in a parade, in which they are marching with a flank of plasterers. It isn't dated or the occasion named. Now I'm wondering if it was a Labor Day parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat to have a parade with a flank of plasterers!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the explanation at the end. Sweden is one of the countries that celebrate it on May 1, although I have to confess that right now I don't remember why we have that specific date either...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is to have a more civilized holiday at the time the pagans were dancing around a maypole!

      Delete
  7. Yes! Three cheers for all the union men and women who built, and continue to build, America! I especially like the Norman Rockwell cover which I don't think I've seen before. Some years ago I went to a wonderful traveling exhibition of his paintings that included works of other realist artists. His art defines a truly America portrait style that may have been equaled but has never been surpassed in humor and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an exhibit of all his Saturday Evening Post covers at the High Museum in Atlanta when I lived there. Overkill...couldn't take in so much at one time. So I bought the book, but it's printing was in terrible colors.

      Delete
  8. We have our Labour Day holiday coming up in a few weeks. Sadly the reason for the holiday has been lost in the ages of time. When I was a child in the 40s and 50s it was called "Eight Hours Day", but was later changed to Labour Day.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.