Update about blogCa

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Neither here nor there...

 

Let's not be serious!

Blue Footed Booby (Sula nebouxii) is such a dear little bird! I can't help but smile when I see him.


Junior nobody in his "pram" with mom...bundled up for mildly cool weather, and Junior is happily munching on something I believe. In the background is perhaps a garage, and rooftops with chimneys.  Let's see what others have posted on Sepia Saturday this week!



A continuation of last week's post about workers. Here are those who helped build the Biltmore House in Asheville NC, 1898.


The Biltmore Estate - present day. I don't know when it became a tourist attraction, but thousands roam through the halls daily now, and around the beautiful gardens.


House in Houston's 5th Ward, 1973 photo by Danny Lyon



Clover Gap Mine community, Harlan County KY

You may note that the poorer people among us build with wood, while those who can afford to will choose some kind of masonry. 



As I recently showed on my blog, housing these days means clearing lots completely of ancient trees, then perhaps planting some fast growing ones after the house is built. But the logs above were from much bigger trees than I've ever seen in North Carolina...and unfortunately they were probably not meant to become lumber for housing. This was wartime.


This phenomena occurred about 60 million years ago when the Colorado Plateau shifted and felled many trees, which became petrified over that long time.

Another frame house, to which a farmer and his sons are retreating from a dust storm. Cimarron County, OK, April 1936.


Niagara Falls without water, 1969 (Are you getting thirsty yet?)



Woman on frozen Mississippi River, St. Louis, MO 1905


1910s photo of mother doing laundry while baby walks in a wicker frame.

I've now come full circle back to a mother and child, and shared most of the sepia photos that have come across my desk in the last week.

I hope you have a great weekend!

Today's quote:

To bear up under loss, to fight the bitterness of defeat and the weakness of grief, to be victor over anger, to smile when tears are close, to resist evil men and base instincts, to hate hate and to love love, to go on when it would seem good to die, to seek ever after the glory and the dream, to look up with unquenchable faith in something evermore about to be, that is what any man can do, and so be great. -Zane Grey, author (31 Jan 1872-1939)

Tomorrow's post will be about thinking outside the box and into a circle!





24 comments:

  1. ...what a fabulous collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a variety from huge trees to huge estates to a frozen river in middle America of all places. There are many spots where OUR Mississippi doesn’t freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it freezing at St. Louis...may have been before the locks were built too.

      Delete
    2. (Third try to write a reply to this comment) I had never heard of it freezing over at St. Louis, but after the locks were built, and I lived in Elsah IL above the river, we sometimes would hear the ice breaking up near the dam.

      Delete
  3. What a great assortment of photos of the past. That log section on the truck was a surprise. Not like the log trucks around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Barbara,
    What a great collection of photos. I love the frozen river photo and Biltmore. I hope to see a real Blue-footed Booby. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be so cool, Eileen, to see a live Blue-Footed Booby!

      Delete
  5. Nice variety of photos. I have seen the photo of the baby in the wicker thing before and never realized it was a walker. I thought she stuck him in there to keep him from getting into anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was struck by how the same design has been replicated in plastic for my babies, and I guess the little ones these days.

      Delete
  6. You selected another group of interesting photos. But I was struck by the quote because it is attributed to Zane Grey. My grandfather loved to read his books and I've always thought I should read one to learn more about the appeal of his books to my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I think my dad may have read his books too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Trying second time to reply. Yesterday I couldn't do so. It certainly is, William!

      Delete
  8. Amazing set of photos. I didn't realise the Mississippi ever froze anywhere. Don't get frozen rivers here in Aus. That huge tree trunk got me. I wonder how old the tree would have been. We humans have managed to destroy so much natural history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that...and yet now we are (some of us) trying to police the destructions where we can!

      Delete
  9. That is an amazing collection. Those old trunks are quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are. Blogger (or maybe internet) has each post taking 15-20 seconds to come up but at least if I'm very patient this will actually be posted! Hope I don't have a virus.

      Delete
  10. Love that wicker frame in the last picture. How inventive! - I've been watching reruns of Little House on the Praire lately (on Swedish TV)... "good old days", hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed that the same design is (or when my children were little anyway) still being used by moms to keep their babies safe.

      Delete
  11. What a sweep of history in these photos! So moving to see the workers' homes in contrast to that estate. And there is much here about climate change and ecology as well -- frozen rivers, oversized tree trunks, a dry Niagra Falls -- who knows if this does not presage our future? Particularly love the last photo :-)

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.