Update about blogCa

Monday, May 16, 2022

Remembering

An event that culminated in a stent on my heart - the pain in my neck and back started on Wednesday, May 13, 2020.

I went to my family practice doctor. They did an EKG, but the results seemed confusing... but he gave me something to help me sleep, and a new drug for high blood pressure. I slept that night, but by the next afternoon, the neck and shoulder pain were awful. I had to sit up, couldn't lie down. I went through another 24 hours like this, then on Friday afternoon, I finally asked my friend to take me to the ER.

Fortunately I said I not only had neck and shoulder pain, but heaviness in my chest. That got me in to see a nurse and get an EKG immediately.

The waiting room was mobbed, this was about 4 months into the COVID pandemic, and there were lots of sick people. We were finding out each night on the news how many people died, and how hard it was for hospital personnel to get the PPE (personal protective equipment.) And we heard of all the people who died without seeing their loved ones, and there couldn't even be funerals for them.

So I walked voluntarily into that situation. I didn't know if I'd see my friend Helen again. She drove around (she told me later) until I texted her that I was staying for a while. By then I had been tested for COVID of course. I told the staff that I had bronchiectasis which made me cough all the time. They didn't care, they had to get me tested.

And the hospital had run out of the testing chemicals, so was sending tests out to a lab, and it could be several days before results came back. Fortunately one of the doctors I saw pushed to get the test performed asap.

So by 1:00 am Saturday May 16 I finally was deemed not to have Covid and could slip into the first available surgical opportunity, and got the stent which saved my life.  By then the medical people had convinced me I had a heart attack. They had also had to go through lots of blood tests to prove it. 

Then the recovery started, with 3 more days in the hospital. People often complain, but for me I was in heaven. People were waiting on me all the time. They knew when I needed to take what medicines, and supported all my physical needs. Even the food was welcome. I didn't have to prepare it or clean it up. I never had to make my bed. The only times I've had this feeling of being "waited upon" was other hospital visits in my life. Fortunately I didn't have much pain, but was just kind of weak.

When I went home, I had to adjust to making my own decisions, and how few things I was actually able to do. 

So I like to mark May 16 as my Stent implant day...when a tiny little instrument was pushed up to my heart through my wrist artery. I'm very grateful to be around still to celebrate today, just two years later. And incidentally, after completing the Ornish rehab program and changing my diet to mostly plant based...my last blood work showed a cholesterol number of just 51. That's down from over 200 before the heart attack. But I need to get out and exercise more still.

This is the gym at the Cardiac Center.

I am so glad to still be around. This year my family is marking another granddaughter's graduation from high school. She's my 5th grand to graduate. There's just one more to come in a couple more years! I hope to still be around for it.

Today's quote:

Everything is nothing, with a twist. 

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions



18 comments:

  1. A good occasion to mark. Glad you are still around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks...me too! Glad to be writing blogs (ahead of when they post) and being here to comment in replies back to my friends.

      Delete
  2. Well done and congratulations for being persistent and watchful. Sometimes remembering is harder than the actual event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thing to think about, how remembering gets fuzzy with time. I watched a TV show last night about some survivors of WW II and what their lives must have been like (one man in a concentration camp.) Most of the men didn't want to talk about their memories.

      Delete
  3. ...6 weeks ago I was in the hospital to hopefully have a stent or two installed, but it wasn't in the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...that's too bad that you didn't get the stent(s) that you expected. Since I see your comments and posts here quite often, I have thought of your being on your computer at least as much as I am. And I do appreciate your driving around and taking so many beautiful photos of your area. I hope you can keep healthy!

      Delete
  4. This is the first time I've heard the whole story of how you ended up in heart rehab. Glad to have you around so I could make your acquaintance through blogging, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia...I guess I didn't find you till late in my blogging world. There are still dozens, maybe hundreds, of bloggers yet to meet! I'm really glad to have become friends with you here in blogland.

      Delete
  5. I had forgotten most of this story. It surprises me that it has been two years already and that you went through all of this at the beginning of the pandemic. You are really quite resilient, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. It was really something, thinking of the ward somewhere in the same hospital where people had COVID and were dying without being able to see their loved ones, nor even have funerals. I was really touched by the care of the staff...all of them!

      Delete
  6. Well done re cholesterol! And what a gorgeous new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm hoping my veering away from total plant based eating, as well as regular exercise, hasn't put me back at high risk. Soon will see my Dr. and get new numbers. Thanks for noticing the header. I do love those mountain streams!

      Delete
  7. May 16 is/was my mother’s birthday. Glad it gave you a kind of rebirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that it was a special day for your life also, AC!

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear your good news story. It seems to get harder to keep the blood numbers good the longer I live! I do try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have weird blood pressure numbers, one day high, the next low. I need to ask my Dr. to at least have my cholesterol also checked for my June visit.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.