Update about blogCa

Friday, May 27, 2022

Another collection of old photos

 

A mobile house, 1926 (did I share this already?)

I wish I had a photo of a young woman with that look in her eyes, talking on a telephone. But I don't.

So I will share on Sepia Saturday what I have, which is another group of old photos that have come my way through the internet.


Flat-Iron Building, New York NY

An early bookmobile.

Charles Ebbets, taking the legendary photo of workers having their lunch on a beam, 9.20.1932, while constructing the RCA building. Below, the photo that is legendary.

RCA Building by Charles Ebbets, 1932



The Farmington Quaker Meeting House, New York, 1816 (I find it hard to believe that photo is that old...much too clear. the process of photography didn't occur that early.


A family leaves Florida for the north during the Great Depression.

King High School Drama Club, including my son Marty, about 1978, Tampa FL. He's wearing a headband.

More book mobiles.

1915 Silk Lace worn by Queen Maud of Norway.

A Sami family circa 1900 in Norway

Baba Yaga with her house on chicken legs.


William Harley and Arthur Davidson, 1914



Coney Island

Flato family, around 1895, after whom the town of Flatonia, TX was named.


Albert Einstein and his wife, Pasadena CA, 1931

It's all our home...



1970 Earth Day poster by Walt Kelly (artist behind Pogo the cartoon.)




And the quote for today is by Albert Einstein...
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. Matter is spirit reduced to point of visibility. There is no matter.”








17 comments:

  1. ...these are great. The mobile home and the one man band are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Wonderful collection of sepia images. I love your header photo, pretty view of the lake. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All interesting. I like looking back at these too. You're right about the one misdated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I just discovered a bunch of my comments had been listed under "comments" but not posted on the blogs...for some dumb blogger reason. It has been happening with several different people, a few all the time, a few some of the time. Enough to make one a bit crazy!

      Delete
  4. You do find the photos. Most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! The one of the family leaving Florida could be a whole novel, so rich with different stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it would take a real writer to put the stories together...they immediately reminded me of Zora Neal Hurston actually.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful series of photographs. In terms of litter, the enemy is still us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. It's like living in a fishbowl and the water needs changing!

      Delete
  7. So many great photos. I love the mobile home and Charles Ebbets taking that photo up on the skyscraper beam. I'm amazed at his courage/recklessness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suspect the meeting house photo is from 1876 or 1916. Photography was not fully developed in 1816, and did not reach the USA until decades later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've assembled a splendid medley of images. I recognized the famous photo of steelworkers having lunch on a girder, but had never seen the fantastic one of the photographer, Charles C. Ebbets. Thanks for adding that. His work personifies America's boom era between the wars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting collection of photos - love the mobile libraries, and the New York buildings and construction workers (from the same era I'm looking at now)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great photos. The one of the workers on the RCA bldg. having lunch gives me the shivers as well as the one of the crazy photographer taking the picture! And the 'teepees' in Norway caught me by surprise!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.