Update about blogCa

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Full moon eclipse May 15, 2022

  A full lunar eclipse, at a time I could manage to be awake! Yay. I talked with one of my family members for about an hour while waiting...knowing I could stay awake if there was something interesting to do. My bedtime is usually in the hour before double digits hit the digital clock. (Fun statement about digits on a digital timepiece.)

And here's the best photo I took, before the eclipse even started!


It was great the clouds blew away, but a phone camera can't do justice to a moon even almost all occluded by shadow...it somehow still lets it look like a big round white ball. I gave up after 30 minutes of this. 
Though this wasn't what I was seeing with my naked eyes (through my glasses lenses)...this is a 3 second exposure which shows some of the orange, and there was only about a sliver of white that I saw, but it bloomed over the whole moon for the camera. Hello to the new little blue fairy that also showed up!

Here are better photos (a way I can save them is by posting them here!)

By Jim Polling, Black Mountain NC

By Bob Crowe in St. Louis MO

By Hensler Villela in California

A last minute addition...
By Sergio Garcia Rill a nice composite.

And another later addition...

By Isabel Diaz Sanchez

From space by Craig Nickols


I love that this face of the moon, thousands of miles from earth, looks so much the same from photographers thousands of miles apart!

Today's quote:
Diane Ackerman wrote, "It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between.




16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the moon! We missed the Lunar Eclipse, it was too cloudy here. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was as surprised as anyone that the clouds parted to let me see most of the eclipse. I was bummed by the camera not working, so I just quit before totallity.

      Delete
  2. I have taken one eclipse and wasn’t moved to try another, especially with overcast skies and possible rain when I would have had to find a spot away from home somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good decision. I remember the first eclipse of a full moon which I enjoyed with friends at a party...quite a few years ago. There are many that I've missed due to clouds.

      Delete
    2. And I really wish I'd brought out the real camera and tripod!

      Delete
  3. ...another one that I slept through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't get to see it at all. Way too foggy and cloudy here. It's wonderful that you got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really well done! I thought about it, but, like you, bedtime is around 9 these days. I have to wind down with a book. (ツ) from <A HREF="https://mymuskoka.blogspot.com/2022/05/flora-and-fauna-tails.html> Cottage Country Ontario </A>, ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn...glad you enjoyed what's been accumulated by me...thanks to the internet!

      Delete
  6. I would have stayed up to watch it too. Here it was visible in the early morning just before dawn except that it wasn't visible due to cloud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, you are 5 hours ahead of me at all times. Sorry about the clouds! Maybe next time!

      Delete
  7. Great shots! I didn’t even try. So many people do it better than I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you for trying! It seemed so cloudy heat that I just went to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed it. It was raining that evening. Though the next day a colleague said it cleared up enough to see it later.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.