Update about blogCa

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Happy Easter to my Christian friends and family

I baked.

 A loaf of Easter bread-cake.


And as soon as it was cool enough to touch, I hacked off a piece to try. MMMM!

A crumbly recipe, which wasn't clear as to how it got enough flour to knead it...so I was kneading and adding flour till the cows came home. It's actually light and very crumbly. That's from the 2 eggs. And I didn't make ropes and wind them into a pretty circle.  I couldn't get it to rise very much either. Maybe because the jar of yeast was old. Like the date to "use by" on the lid says 2014. Oops.  But it was almost gone, so I just wanted to see if I could get it to rise at all, and this is pretty darn good for refrigerated old yeasties, I'd say.

The lack of much sugar, just enough to get those yeasties hopping, made the taste like a bread. But the texture is all crumbly, so it needs to be cut thick. It doesn't have bread flour, so it can't be pulled apart the way round breads often can. Only 3 tablespoons of butter, but enough to give it that wonderful color. It's a bastardized Easter bread-cake. I used what I had.  And now I'll eat what I made. Half went into the freezer for later.


Toasted lightly, just enough to melt more butter into the bread-cake. Yum! (Mug by friend Marsha Cozart, plate by me.)

Quote for today:

There is something in every one of you that waits and listens for
the sound of the genuine in yourself.  It is the only true guide
you will ever have.  And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your
life spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls.


Howard Thurman


8 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived close by I would shamelessly knock on your door and beg! I would maintain my distance while you placed it at a safe distance for me and then scurry home as fast as I could to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delicious and moist it looks. Enjoy and Happy Easter to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of it but is does look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bread looks lovely. I can't resist the smell of freshly baked bread.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.