Update about blogCa

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Cooking these days

I usually prefer to have a one dish meal. The other day I dirtied 2 pans by having Azuki beans and Jasmine Rice.
But then a friend offered to shop for me, and I asked for some frozen shrimp.
Yes, I've been trying to be a vegetarian. But I wanted seafood. I usually don't make a fuss about being dedicated to vegetarianism.

Anyway, she brought me a bag of nice big raw shrimp...the only strange thing I noticed was that they were pink already as if they'd been cooked.  Maybe they had some kind of flash steaming effect before being frozen. They could have had some dye added, though it wasn't included in ingredients.

The other weird thing I found, though they were headless, they still had tails and legs, and had been split down the back with the veins removed.
So I steamed mine, then pulled off shells and legs. Much easier than my usual way of cleaning them.


And I had decided to make an Alfredo sauce, to use up some old parmesan cheese, and I even bought sour cream, thinking that was what was in it also. Come to find out, it was supposed to be real cream or at least half and half. I don't know that I've ever made it actually.

So I boiled my angel hair pasta, and stirred some milk, and chopped garlic, and salt and pepper, and butter and the cheese over a low heat. But the milk mixture was too thin, so I added a bit of corn starch (mixed separately in a little container), which gave it the right consistency. Then at the last minute I stirred in two tablespoons of sour cream...I know it doesn't like to cook, just warm up before serving.

And the shrimp were so big they weren't totally cooked after a 10 minute steam, so I popped them back over hot water and gave them another 5 minutes steam, and they were just right.

I have another dinner of Alfredo and Angel hair, and enough shrimp for several meals, since I only had 6 that evening.  It was OH SO GOOD.

Today's quote:

The difference between doing something and doing nothing is everything.
DANIEL BERRIGAN

12 comments:

  1. I don't prefer shrimp, but you seem to know what you are doing in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten shrimp all my life, and considering I was raised inland, I wonder at that. I'd love the treat of shrimp cocktail when eating out.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have tried the shrimp alfredo, it is yummy. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed...and since I made it, I've had really good variations with the left overs...added broccoli the last time!

      Delete
  3. Oh you remind me how much my father loved shrimp. A shrimp cocktail made him happy, and really shrimp served in any way was a treat. I gave up meat in 1970 and slowly over the years reintroduced a bit of tuna and some smoked salmon. That's it for my "meat" intake. Your dish looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it a lot...and have mostly given up meat, except at my age I forgive myself for occasional indulgences.

      Delete
  4. I used to like fried shrimp but haven't had it in years. I love salmon, haddock and other kinds of fish. Your meal sounds delicious. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had fried shrimp in years either...though sometimes batter fried fish is all that's available on a menu. I think I like eating some kind of fish about once a week.

      Delete
  5. ...look good, we are having a lot of soups these day. The crock pot is getting a work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me, I froze half of my last soup...so if/whenever I got sick, I'd already have some made. I think it's time to make another batch! Get the old crock pot down from on top of the refrigerator again.

      Delete
  6. I stopped eating shrimp in an effort to avoid taking cholesterol medicine, but your shrimp and pasta dish looks delicious!
    Thanks for your comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are smart...and I dare say now I only have shrimp 3-4 times a year. My cholesterol is still pretty high.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.