Update about blogCa

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A hawk and a friend by the river

Happy Earth Day everyone!
 As I drove into the parking lot, slowly, I rolled down my window to try to capture the hawk that I'd just spooked and could still see on this deadwood.

 Of course he took off as I clicked the second photo...maybe those are his wings kind of vibrating the foliage above the river.

I locked the car and walked around the Swannanoa River where it had flooded so badly last year in March. This year I don't think there were any bad floods. But there were still plenty of changes of its course which are yet to be reclaimed.




A I turned to go back to my car, there was suddenly a friend striding into the clearing.

Helen and I can have conversations of hours, but this time she was planning her lunch with a muffin and a coffee and a book by the river, so I said I'd text her. She offered to pick up some groceries for me when she shopped later that afternoon. I love this photo of her!

The Friends Meeting House is probably not having any meetings at this time, but it's gardens still have beauty. And thanks to Helen, I'm having fresh salads this week. Many many thanks!

Something to think about:

"Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does."
- Margaret Atwood (The Penelopiad)

14 comments:

  1. Not bad. You had a little taste of nature on Earth Day and had a short meetup with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though it wasn't Earth Day when I visited there...but now it is! Happy Earth Day!

      Delete
  2. ...Friends will be able to meet when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm sure they stay in touch with each other much as my friends do!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Nice sighting of the Hawk. You friend looks happy, great photo! Take care, enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to see her, but hoped I didn't bother her lunch. Happy Earth Day.

      Delete
  4. It is very encouraging to hear of friends helping friends. We tend to focus on the negative aspects of Covid-19, but much goodness has come out of it too. Stay well, during these challenging times and don't get temped to let down your guard too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words. Thanks for identifying the hawk too! It is a really terrible picture.

      Delete
  5. I should have mentioned too, that as best I can tell from the picture, the raptor is a Red-shouldered Hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice surprise to see your friend. The river looks like a lovely place to spend some time.
    Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great setting for reflection...in all its meanings.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful quote and what's that pink tree by the Quakers house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pink dogwood. They are a decorative tree that doesn't occur in nature, but is quite popular from nurseries to landscape with.

      Delete
  8. Glad you ran into a friend. I haven't seen one in a while! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.