Update about blogCa

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

When the moon eclipses, it doesn't matter how cold...

We seldom see full moons here in the mountains, because there are frequent clouds whenever they happen.
So I started peeping at it around 7:45, and there were stars visible too...but of course I can't quite get my little Nikon to see them.

 Isn't this one neat, with 2 orbs that came to visit?

The camera sends out some kind of infared signal to focus on things, and it really had trouble with the moon.  I think the lens might have gotten a bit of condensation on it as well.

I found myself sneaking outside every hour, and I didn't even bother taking photos that didn't show a thing...which of course meant bundling up since it was in the teens by then, and sometimes blustery too.

 Around 10 there was a shadow cast on the lower edge, and a camera which wasn't held exactly still gave it a nice mellon look.






I went to bed around 10:45, and loved that it was starting to have that reddish tint, but it was too cold for my old bones to come out again later.  I'm so glad some others did!

Here's Jim Polling's capture (had a better zoom, but still hand held!) of the full eclipse.

And here's my new favorite by Martha Fabre Hale on Facebook...

3 comments:

  1. Love that you went out and could see some of the eclipse. Too cloudy where we are. Grand photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Robin. It's very rare that we have a clear view. Wish now that I'd somehow stayed awake longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We kept going outside too. It was amazing. I didn't even try to take photos though because my phone doesn't do well with the moon. After going out and just about freezing, I remembered I had a heavy overcoat and put that on, then I remembered I could use a pashmina for a scarf and not that hat that wasn't keeping me warm. I last went out at about 1. I did't start until 10:30 though. It took me awhile to warm up even with comforters piled high.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.