Update about blogCa

Friday, January 25, 2019

Standing by the car

Early years with cars...

1937, my father stands by open window of car being driven by his younger brother, Jimmy, while his mother (Ada Rogers) sits as passenger.



 Dallas Texas, 1942.  My grandmother (Ada Rogers) and father (George Rogers Jr.) and grandfather (George Rogers Sr.) standing in front of a car (not sure if it's my father's or the grandparents.  The grandparents were living in San Antonio at that time, but visited as there was a child soon to be born (me!)  I would guess it's a Studebaker, since that's the only brand my Rogers family would own for the longest time...probably till it went out of business.

 My mother (Mataley Rogers) sits on the running board (YES, that's what they were called) while my granparents work on the Victory Garden.  In 1942 the US had only been at war less than a year.



There I was (left girl) about to turn 8 years old (1950) with little sis.  Why my father got the car into the pic is probably saying a lot about his values! I would imagine this is one of the Studebakers he owned.  We moved to St. Louis Aug. 1950 in time for my birthday.
Beow...here I am with sis again (different dresses I think) which means it was probably Easter, 1951. On the campus of Principia Upper and Lower School.  It's a different car already...just look at the grill work and a one piece windshield in the second scene.



I don't know the location of McGlung's Drugstore.  I probably got this old photo from Appalachian Coal Fields on Facebook.  But as I was looking for old cars, this one caught my eye, not because of the store front.  Not because of the various clothes the men and boys are wearing.  But what caught my eye was the back wheel with chains on it.

When we lived in St. Louis, there were a couple of winters that my father put chains on his Studebaker so we could get around on snowy days.  But his wheels were much different by then (50s and 60s).

Below are family members around the new Studebaker.  This one is sporty, a two tone blue, with white wall tires.



Perhaps these photos of old cars will have something in common with the prompt photo from Sepia Saturday this week.  Come on over and see (or contribute your own) the selections that others who have a collection of old photos are sharing this week!




11 comments:

  1. Definitely a Studebaker hood ornament. And Studebakers had the suicide door. I like how your first picture especially is a perfect match for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy...I'd never heard of a "suicide door." But I didn't remember having one (a back door that opened to the front) on one we had! The first one I remembered was on a Lincoln much later, I think. Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect fit to the prompt with all those folks standing by their cars! I noticed in the pic' with your grandparents working the Victory garden and you Mom sitting on the running board of the car, she's wearing a maternity top. I wish young pregnant women today would wear maternity tops. When I was carrying my children-to-be, there were some really cute stylish ones. Today's big bumps stretching tee-shirts to the 'nth degree are not attractive - at least to me. Then again, maybe I'm just an old fogy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail...I haven't been out much around any women who are pregnant, but I think I agree. What surprises me is women wearing "leggings" which are just tights with a bit more fabric. When the women don't have a shirt or top that comes down below their derrière, there's a sense they've come out in their underwear. What's that all about? I wore many a leotard when doing dance, but these leggings are much more form fitting. I couldn't wear the current swim styles either. I guess women don't mind showing more than their mother's did...just as I remember when I wore mini skirts in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great matches! Our family never owned a Studebaker, but the similarity with our name meant we often got teased about it. The last one I remember was a neighbor's from the early 60s. Had that supersonic style of the jet age. We have a lot of family photos with cars I think because only when folks were fixing to leave would someone remember to get the canera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike...the last Studebaker I remember had a jet age style (after all most cars were having fins on their fenders) and an asymmetrical front, which looked like a race car to me. It sure didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how families attach themselves to a certain kind of car. For your family it was Studebakers. Wendy's dad was a Ford man. I'm attached to Honda's, but my husband isn't. Growing up, my family never wanted a Ford - they were Chevy people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderfully romantic cars. Great lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some Great Family Shots Barbara.
    How Relaxed You all Look in them.
    Funny how we never associate Motors with relaxation these day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good ol' Studebakers. There was a fella in high school that had a bright yellow one. You could see and hear him coming from a distance. Never did get to see what it looked like inside.

    You've got some really wonderful shots in this collection.

    My folks were Oldsmobile people from the 50s on. No idea why. And I can't say they stayed completely true to that because my dad once went out to buy wood to build a sewing machine table for my mom and instead came home with a '56 Chevy Bel Air convertible...and three straw hats. That was the BEST car when we eventually ended up in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, frequently I have conversations about families' orientation to one car brand or another. Your story about the Bel Air convertible and three straw hats (I imagine in consideration of hair styles riding in fresh air!) is a hoot! Your dad (and mom) must have had a good sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.