Update about blogCa

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Old Gas Station and Mural update

  State Street, Black Mountain NC



OK, on June 28 I parked and walked along the curb to see what was happening. One thing was that there really wasn't room to walk by active traffic...most of whom are from out of town and don't follow the 20 mph speed limit.



This is the first time I've seen workers there...back in the darkness of the interior. I have read in a local social media that the gas station will be turned into a nice restaurant!

And just as the mural suggests, this building will house glass blowers. I hope they don't remove the mural, but how will we get in to see them otherwise? 

I think last week some school students were invited to paint the flowers.

 The people are also beginning to look alive.


Another shot from my car on June 29th...there are workers sitting inside the garage at least...

A big whoopee, I stopped at a red light, and got this shot...see that person painting the mural!!


Inch by inch, or stroke by stroke...this mural is coming alive!

I do hope it will be preserved when the shop behind it opens!

14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love the mural, very pretty. It will be nice to have a new restaurant in town. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the rate they are going, it may open by Christmas...which isn't part of our big tourist season. Another restaurant that had lots of promise has been renovated but not opened for a year.

      Delete
  2. There's a coffee shop in Lebanon in what once was a gas station. Look forward to seeing how the one you are watching turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice restaurant combined with a plant nursery for a few years in another old gas station...then the nursery business moved and now the site sells Pelican cones...not sure what they are except cold and different flavors!

      Delete
  3. It is lovely! It's great to see the progress!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share with you as I learn whatever's happening, from out here in my apartment complex on the side of a mountain. I get a lot of news from social media about my town, but then it is slow to publish what's really happening, so I may be the last to know!

      Delete
  4. I love watching this mural unfold like this. It really is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn’t think they’d be creating a mural just to wipe it away but you never know. Our town had a very find mural that an owner decided to erase and replace with nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's terrible. This art shows lots of talent...but then there's the problem of entering into the store once it's open. Maybe just the entrance will be opened out...but then again, some big windows would give glass lots of light. I must prepare myself to love this art as a transient being, like a flower.

      Delete
  6. ...I hope the mural, but saving the old station is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see the new roof, and that they're keeping most of the original features, even down to garage doors!

      Delete
  7. There is a former gas and service station here that got converted into an eatery too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great use of local buildings. Another of our "gas station restaurants" is Thai Basil, which is lovely Thai cuisine.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.