Update about blogCa

Friday, July 29, 2022

From trash to barbecue

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all. -Peter Drucker, management consultant, professor, and writer (19 Nov 1909-2005)

--------------------


Closest to home, a bear got into the non-bear-proof bins of garbage...some new person to our garbage system didn't know to use the bear-proof bins for food stuffs. But wait, that second bin that's tumped on its side is one of the newer bear-proof bins...but it needs to be closed securely for the latches to work.



My friend, Tim drove my old heavy TV to the "Hard to Recycle" site in Candler on Saturday.
Just look at all those styrofoam things!  And there was a truck trailer full also.
I also took my old VCR player, and the guy asked did it work? I said maybe. He said he'd sold one to someone for major bucks! I remembered later that I couldn't get it to do much in its later days.


Then off we went to visit an old friend, Doc Brown, at his barbecue place. Oh what a lot of wonderful choices there were (but few for vegetarians, just all those sides.) I tried chicken salad, Lexington Slaw (didn't like it) and of course baked beans. The corn bread was delicious! Tim enjoyed pulled pork and mac and cheese, which Doc Brown is famous for.

Though we sat near the highway, at least we could sit without masks while eating! We were cautious when driving to wear masks...we've both been around some different people lately and wanted to be sure to not pass along anything.

Sharing with Skywatch Friday!

14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The BBQ sounds yummy. We have seen raccoons knock over cans and make a mess out of the trash. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replies to these comments will be posted in tomorrow's blog. I'll try that at least this time...

      Delete
  2. ...I always wonder if the items that we put out for recycling really get recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexington slaw is a new term to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me realise that the last few things I've bought were not packed in Styrofoam as they always used to be. Maybe someone's learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a beautiful day for a drive to the recycling place. Nice place for a lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don’t have a hard to recycle site anywhere around. Yesterday I drove to another town to drop off some things. Each county has their own rules about what they accept for recycling.

    When I review things on Amazon, I mention if there is an inordinate amount of Styrofoam. I dislike the stuff because it makes a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, so much for bearproof. So VCRs are popular again? I guess it pays to save all your old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The learning curve is steep but hopefully short when it comes to bear country. Styrofoam I'm told is the worst of the worst for plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, So compared to me, you're just a 'youngster'! It's getting to the point that I only know a few folks that are older than I am. I'm the patriarch on both my mother's and father's sides of the family...OLD! But, I feel pretty good...so I just keep on keeping on. Even though we aren't too far from the Smoky Mountains, we haven't had any local bear sightings in our neighborhood in 3 - 4 years. We do get to see lots of news items of bears trashing cars, tents and trash cans though. Styrofoam is hard to recycle...with those dang popcorn bits the worst. Here in our area, they've stopped recycling glass as there is no market for it! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a beautiful day. Hopefully the neighbours can learn to secure the garbage cans. Bears can get into almost anything and anywhere it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the third photo, great street photography.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had Lexington Slaw either. Our bins get knocked over so I wait till the night before the garbage truck comes. I keep garbage in the basement. But agree durn bears!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.