Update about blogCa

Friday, December 13, 2019

500 issues of their blog!

Congratulations to Sepia Saturday! This is their 500th posting.


I sometimes share something of historic interest (to me at least). But I always find the other Sepians have some really interesting things to read about!  Since 2009 Allan and Miriam have put this theme out on blogger, with a prompt photo that I often can't match. But they are kind and let me post my dribs and drabs of old photos and stories.

Here's my first posting (or just about) from Alchemy of Clay Oct. 2010. I don't think I'd found SS yet.

And "When I was 69" started in Sept. 2012...HERE.  It was a blog that let me chat about other aspects of my life besides my pottery interets.

My first sharing with Sepia Saturday (on "When I was 69") was their edition number 150, Nov. 10, 2012...about phones and switchboards.  I certainly didn't post every week, whether on topic or not.  And usually if I didn't post, I didn't read the others' posts either. Shame on me.

What do I have to share on this momentous occasion? Head scratching, reviewing some old files...

I'll go with some seasonal shots from 2012...one of the few times I had family visit me (at least since I moved to Black Mountain NC and live in smaller and smaller places!) Since I started blogging about then, I may have actually posted some of these photos before. (Sorry friends, they aren't really Sepia, again.)


A sellfie with a digital camera (before I had a smart phone) of myself in red, and daughter-in-law, Kendra.


Son, Tai, and Kendra converse about the dinner...and I found when I visited them, they do this over just about every meal!  A couple of dedicated chefs!


Tai and myself visiting a good friend and neighbor.

 I love this candid shot of Kendra coming up with something interesting, while Tai watches.


The dinner was delicious, and I found candlelight is hard to take photos. But I was more interested in eating at the time!

And I noticed that before they arrived, I did post a Sepia Saturday about real black and white photos from the 50s...so I've posted it below, so you can visit my past Christmas.

I hope everyone has a happy Christmas, and enjoys the turning of our mother earth through the Winter Solstice and begins the next year with joyful hearts!

Friday, December 21, 2012


Christmas past

Posting this for the Sepia Saturday coverage...and to share some thoughts and pictures from my earlier life.  Can't post a picture of Christmas in the future anyway.  So lets enjoy the past.



In 1953 our tree was real (it may have been about the time artificial trees came out, but not for us)  I loved the colored lights (all different colors, big bulbs) and the tinsel which was strung carefully, one by one.
My gifts are on the right...and I don't know what the boxes contain, but there's definitely an orange in my stocking (lying next to my Betsy McCall doll).  I remember Betsy McCall paper dolls which I'd cut out of McCall's magazine.  The real doll was a disappointment, but I don't remember why, the capricious nature of a young girl of 11.  I did learn how to play a simple form of dominoes (right there in front).

This was taken a month before Christmas, our apartment is on the second floor, reached by the porch to the right.  I remember how snow was beautiful for about an hour in St. Louis in 1953, then the coal dust settled on it, making it all grey.  We had to be quick to enjoy playing in it.  Of course it was nice to have a coal furnace to keep us warm.  Our Texas blood (and probably clothes) made us cold easily.


The best place to sled was Art Museum Hill, though there was a lake at the bottom, and we always were scared we'd tumble into it at the end of the long hill.  My Dad was the pusher to get us going, I don't think he tried to ride down with us.  But he may have come and rescued us and pulled the sleigh back up the hill (probably).

This is my Sepia Saturday contribution for the next couple of weeks...they will be back next year!  Add your own link to the fun, if you wish, follow the instructions on their blog!  And enjoy looking at the interesting historical blogs that are linked there!



27 comments:

  1. I hope you have a lovely Christmas. We have a similar glass nativity set but without the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the tree ornament and the snowflake elsewhere. Just like having glass things all together.

      Delete
  2. ...it's always fun to look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, whether to 1953 or 2012, both are fond memories!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Congrats to Sephia Saturday on their 500 blog post. Love the family photos, the last shot of the sled brings back memories for me. Great photos. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, did you do sledding like we did? I hope you have a photo or two also!

      Delete
  4. What a great Sepia Saturday tribute, Barb! And a lovely walk down the years through photos. I love the tree photo. I posted one a couple years back of my dad's childhood tree from the 1930s and it looked much the same -- much simpler than today's over-the-top versions. It's been great being your fellow Sepian and learning from your posts and comments. Happy Holidays and New Year to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly...it has been a fun and educational time on SS and I'm sorry so few people contribute these days. I hope more show up soon.

      Delete
  5. Memories of Christmas past, a lovely look back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The simple joys... dominos, oranges, sledding. The black and white makes everything look so elegant. We forget to print out our photos today... this has reminded me to print out the best ones - they really are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos - both from the present, and in the past. I remember our Christmas trees looking like yours in 1953 - with tinsel. I didn't mind putting the tinsel on, but I hated having to take it off carefully so we could save it for the next year. I had a Betsy McCall doll too - but not until I was in my early 20s. :) I found her in a discount store on a lunch break. She came complete with several outfits and I just had to have her. She was small - only about 7" tall. You mentioned in your comment on my Sepia post that you remembered the story of Pegasus in a Christmas book. Was that the Golden Book of Christmas which featured green tissue expanding honeycomb Christmas trees inside the front and back covers, by chance? I loved that book and I did give mine to my grandchildren. They're all grown now and I sometimes wish I had that book back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that book was a treasure, and I wish I still had it!

      Delete
  8. About the Golden Book of Christmas, did you ever watch the TV series M.A.S.H.? I had forgotten the title of that book I'd had as a child and wanted to find a copy of it in a used book store but without the proper title, no luck. Then an article appeared in our local newspaper written by a columnist for a Los Angeles paper talking about the book. I still wasn't sure if she was talking about the book I was looking for, or another, so I called her. Turned out it wasn't her book, but belonged to a friend so she couldn't assure me it was the one I was looking for, but offered to contact her friend & have her call me if she was willing to do so. Turned out her friend was the gal who played the part of nurse Kelly on M.A.S.H. and she did call me and we chatted for almost half an hour about the book which turned out, indeed, to be the right one & with the proper information, I was finally able to find it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail...you are psychic...tonight was the MASH episode where Hawkeye finally notices that Kelly is a woman! She did a great job of telling him what her feelings were! And I always admired her character! That's so great that you talked with her...and she knew about our Golden Christmas Book. That's wonderful!

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness! I still have it! I'm going to blog about it...probably publish tomorrow some photos, and the fun we've had talking about our favorite story!

      Delete
  9. You've stitched together a splendid quilt to match our Sepia Saturday 500! The photos of Christmas holidays past may be the common link that nearly every family shares. I think old black and white snaps like the sledding in the snow hold more power of memory than the smart phone albums of today. I wish you a happy holiday with lots of love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great. And what a fantastic coincidence about your watching the perfect episode of M.A.S.H. right when I was telling you about nurse Kelly. Sometimes you just HAVE to wonder about those sorts of things! Have fun with your blog about the book and all. I was just thinking next year I should make a real Pegasus cookie to hang on the tree to be absolutely true to the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every photo exudes warmth. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seasons Greetings Barbara .Great Photos & Great Sharing X

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is with some envy that I look at your snow pictures. The last white X-mas we had here in the Netherlands was in 2010. So an increasing number of people go to countries like Switzerland and Austria. Yesterday there was the news that the city of Moscow was spreading artificial snow in the streets in order to create a winter like atmosphere... In any case I wish you and yours a splendid 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took until last night for us to have a dusting of snow to fall. North Carolina can either have a lot, or a little. Nothing to bet on.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations and a happy 2020 blogging. Best wishes from a fellow occasional Sepia Saturday blogger from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you happened to see this, and comment today. I hope you are not impacted by the fires/smoke in Australia...though I know it's a pretty big place. I do hope they are managed soon.

      Delete
    2. the fires have dominated my thoughts since late November and on New Year's eve they came to across the road from my parents' house at Batemans Bay on the south coast of New South Wales - it looks as though there will be a bit of respite now - thanks for your kind wishes

      Delete
    3. Hi again Anne. So sorry that fires came so close to your parents' house. I read your comment last night on my phone, but only have the blogger program on my laptop in the living room in order to post it (and was too lazy to get up.) Our time difference also may be a factor. Glad to hear from you.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.