Update about blogCa

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

More of the Cortez CO family's place




The first few days of my visit I got to enjoy the dry desert heat...but then it cooled down by the time I left...

The back side of Mesa Verde - a long mountain.

Looking toward far left, that's where there's an entrance to the Mesa Verde park from Durango. After we visited the park, including the highest peak, I wonder where it is from this view.


Here comes my son to take me back to the High School to watch soccer! He works there as a mentor to help kids graduate and go on to college.

The game was already started, and our team was leading (for the first time in 9 games) We went on to win!




At half time, the 3 graduating seniors on the team, and their parents were recognized by the Assistant Principal.


After the game we stopped by a historic marker just down the road at McElmo Gorge...


For me, seeing these cactus bloom was special.

What the gorge looks like where the road passes over it.


A small building on the other side of the gorge (probably not this one) is the site of an archeological dig.

8 comments:

  1. Hello, what a nice visit with your family. It is a pretty place. I love the cactus blooms and the views. Have a happy day and a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I was surprised to see cactus blooming in late summer!

      Delete
  2. ...it would take a lot of adjusting for me to call this home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly beautiful, but a hard environment. More sky and dirt than I would choose.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too...I wondered where the pathway was leading down to the river/springs at the bottom...probably about where the bridge now crosses it. I wish I'd tried to contact the Cortez Historical Society. There were so many museums around I started with the indigenous peoples, sort of skipped all the European settlers.

      Delete
  4. I love that window shot, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! I think the first one was my attempt to do an artsy window...but the sliding glass framed another pretty scene in the second.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.