Update about blogCa

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Snow everywhere!

It's mid December, and we had snow starting to fall a week ago Saturday.  I've actually been out every day except Sun and maybe Mon.  Just to drive around where it's been plowed.  Schools in Buncombe County were closed M-W, and a 3 hour late start on Thurs, but open Fri I think.  I wonder how working parents deal with having youngsters with no school to go to.  I bet lots of the parents are also home bound.

The Black Mountain Christmas Parade (rescheduled for Saturday) was canceled.  Today (Friday) has been in 40s and almost constant rain.  Fortunately tonight is due to stay warm, so perhaps more snow will melt away.  The piles along all the roads and parking lots have limited some of the places we can go.  And that's probably why nobody wanted to try to see a parade, since you can't even stand next to the main streets to watch it go by with the 2 foot high piles of snow.  Wet weather isn't going to bring many people out either.


I'm parking so that at least one of my front wheels is on pavement, which makes for interesting angles in the parking lots.  But everyone else is also dealing with this.  I wear snow boots, which have some nice grooves on the bottom to grip in icy snowy places.  There is just a bit of slush, which is finally responsive to an indent from my boot.  For several days, the snow had too much ice and I'd clump my boots in it to get traction.  And hold onto any solid thing nearby (like cars I was walking by.)

I worked in the BMCA* studio yesterday and today, made a small figure of Brigid...every time I've attempted to make that goddess/Saint, I've had trouble with the clay drying too fast.  So she's bagged up and hopefully will dry slowly since the rain will make the air in the studio damp.  It also may leak under the walls and flood the floors.  We had the shop vac out today trying to keep the floor dry...but we left at 1 pm.  I'm thinking it may or may not be open as scheduled at noon tomorrow.

*Black Mountain Center for the Arts.

I'm looking forward to a day with sunshine, even if the nights are growing longer each day until the 21st, Winter Solstice.  I've got several rituals to attend, so that's something I'm looking forward to.

I'm not quite feeling 100% these days...having finished the antibiotics, now working on the residual side effects. So I had a nice long nap this afternoon. Today I did my evening breathing treatment with the nebulizer while watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed...script and acting were so intricate even in a black and white film.








No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.