Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Shopping for a specific item

 I'd received a request, for the next time I went to the Folk Art Center, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, not very far from where I live.

My son liked a certain item which he must have purchased the last time he was here, mmm, 2012? Maybe later than that.

Anyway he sent a photo of it, and asked for another one, please. He now lives in southwest Colorado near Mesa Verde National Park. But I just didn't have an opportunity to go there (the parkway, the Folk Art Center). And honestly with fighting to just breathe sometimes between coughs, I didn't have the energy.

But he sent another "gentle reminder." And I asked some friends to drive and join me. They looked at the recent exhibits. I just shopped for a slanted wood spatula.













Browsing in the store, between glass, pottery, jewelry...all kinds of beautifully crafted things!

I easily found the wood utensils rack!

Walked around it...

Until I found flat spatulas! On the right are slants for right-handed people, on the left for left handed!






I snuck around the corner and took photos of some of the spatulas. They each have a woorburned name in the handle telling what kind of wood it is.


The one on the left is shorter handled, and obviously cherry. But the one next to it also says it's cherry, while far right says Maple.

Sent these pics to my son. I bought all three, thinking I'd keep the short handled one. They are definitely getting two! I don't really need one, but it will go with my wood spoon from the same craftsmen.

------------------------

After a lovely birthday luncheon at my favorite Mexican restaurant with 5 friends, and an afternoon talking to various people I love, I had a light dinner. Peanut butter and jelly on toast. And Saturday means I'm planning to be at the Tailgate Market again!

----------------------

Today's quote:

The world is changed by your example, not your opinion.
 -Paulo Coelho, novelist (b. 24 Aug 1947)



9 comments:

  1. It must be good for your mental health to get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you're right. But from sitting inside an apartment for weeks (except a daily trip to the lunch program) I found sitting outside for 4 hours and walking to and from a parking lot was a bit much. I am trying to take it easy though.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Of course. It is also something I'd do for a friend.

      Delete
  3. Very nice meeting these artisans. Hope you feel better soon. I enjoyed this outing, and your header is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making progress every day. That day I remember only being able to go in the store then back to the car. And today I was able to walk quite a bit longer at the Tailgate Market before being completely worn down.

      Delete
  4. Weakness for wooden utensils and bowls- I would have tried to buy all of it! Your son will be mighty pleased! Great that you found them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, since it was ages since he asked for them. But he doesn't observe anyone's birthday by giving them things...he just calls and catches up with them!

      Delete
  5. Nice post. I have a wooden spatula and I used it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.