Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Change must be within people

 Robertson Work is a friend, and a genius. His Compassionate Civilization book gives us alternative ways to view, and work on, climate change. 

Here's a snippet of his ideas, which I'll give you just a few paragraphs below. Check out this Substack. That seems to be the way lots of good writing is being done these days.

ecological-and-social-crises-are calling us to reinvent ourselves.

Now is the time! We are empathic earthlings of the living Earth!


"As a former UNDP policy advisor, international civil servant, founder of the Compassionate Civilization Collaborative, and most importantly, an aging nobody, I call on the over eight billion of us and our leaders in government, business, civil society, media, and academia to launch a global initiative of reinventing humanity as Earthlings committed to ecological regeneration and social justice.

 In World War II, President Roosevelt called on industry, government, and citizens to unite in defeating fascism. In my country, I call on Vice President Harris, Governor Walz, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, AOC, the ACLU, Third Act, and other leaders and movements to articulate a compelling vision and effective action plan of social justice and peace for all people and ecological regeneration of all ecosystems of air, water, soil, minerals, plants, insects, and animals.

Around the planet, many are calling for whole system transformation including the United Nations, the Dalai Lama, the Plum Village movement, the Global Compassion Coalition, Greta Thunberg, Kate Raworth, Phil Lane Jr., Daniel Schmachtenberger, Jacinda Ardern, Nafeez Ahmed, Vandana Shiva, Daniel Wahl, Arundhati Roy, Rutger Bregman, the Great Transition Initiative, the Sunrise Movement, and many, many others as part of a planetary movement of movements."



 

And the good news is...
Aug 14, 2024 on Facebook, Mom's Clean Air Force posted this:


That's a seven months' measure. Excellent news. Renewables are going to supply electric power everywhere, I hope.

------------
I wonder if I'll ever return to a life of going out, doing things, taking care of my apartment, maybe even doing something I enjoy with clay? So far this dragging on Brochiectasis flare-up...just seems to get worse some days. And if I have a good day, I hardly know what to do with it! I still am not sick enough to need medical treatment, darn it all! Just keep on helping clear my lungs with nebulizer, the shaking vest, and sleeping with the C-PAP (which isn't for the big B but for sleep apnea). 

Anyway, I hear thunder out in the mountains, but nothing like last evenings' clap that was probably blocks from my house. I got up and just unplugged the computer and hoped that the electricity and cable would keep working so I could see the end of Jeopardy's Tournament of Champions! It might have been a repeat, but I only vaguely knew who won, and I was right. The players were all outstanding. As always, I knew few answers, but sometimes ones that stumped all three geniuses. That's always fun!  And we had a bit of heavy rain...I didn't pay much attention.

Saturday was spent indoors mostly coughing. I had hoped to be able to go to the Tailgate Market, try to sell some old pots. Not this week. I am not complaining for attention...just stating this is the life I have. I think of neighbors in electric wheelchairs, and how limited their lives are by depending upon that device. They are stronger than I am in many ways.

--------------


Today's quote:

In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in the case of poetry, it's the exact opposite. 

-Paul Dirac, theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate (1902-1984)






16 comments:

  1. This morning's science programme on the radio was about the harm done by disrupted sleep patterns - its effect on health, ones mental state and in particular the tendency of people working night shifts making poor decisions towards the end of their shifts. it throws a whole new light on the decisions that parliament might make after all-night sittings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking there...obviously you had a good night's sleep!

      Delete
  2. Ah, the troubles continue and leave you with a restricted life. It's a good thing that you have media of various kinds, including this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that I live in this techy age, where I can talk "facetime" with relations who live miles away and we see each other in our homes just the way we are.

      Delete
  3. ...King Coal is dead or at least dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the poor miners who were used as political bait being promised work...at least retraining is the best answer for them.

      Delete
  4. Both of our countries are so huge. Some smaller countries have had good results with renewable energy.
    I understand about the coughing. It really wears you down.
    I hope today is a good one. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, the size of these countries does make it more difficult. I used to hear the coal trains going to fire the power plants. No more. I've been up for 40 minutes and no coughing, so feeling quite happy this morning!

      Delete
  5. I too enjoy answering questions that none of the Jeopardy geniuses seem to know. I sure hope you feel very much better soon dear! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization". AMEN 🙏🏽

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words. Well at least 2 of us know answers the Jeopardy geniuses miss! Not that I would ever want to be on Jeopardy!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some restrictions here for the use of coal. They are trying to get people away from it but many still use it. I was amazed when I learned that most people here use it. I remember growing up in the 50s and we had coal delivered to our storage area but that was then, now it should be banned everywhare. It's dirty and not good for people or the environment.
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in St. Louis in the 50s, everyone heated with coal. You had dirty looking buildings from it. And we had to get out very early to play after snowfall before it had coal dust all over it. Hope you also have a good week, Bill.

      Delete
  8. Robertson Work’s call for a global reinvention is inspiring and timely—his vision for a compassionate and ecologically balanced civilization is something we all need to consider. It’s great to see progress on renewable energy too!

    I hope you find moments of relief and joy amidst your challenges. Wishing you a peaceful and hopeful week ahead. Check out my new style post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/uoozee-church-outfit-review.html Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting about Robertson Work's message. Sorry, I don't do anything with fashion any more, but I'm sure lots of young bloggers would like to see your blog.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.