Update about blogCa

Monday, November 30, 2020

Survivors

 

There's even a new lavender blooming at the top of this shot. The tint of red behind the spiky rosemary is a last gasp of the geranium.


While nightly there has been frost on all the cars and rooftops, these little plants on my balcony have continued to thrive and stay blooming.

It's a mystery.  

At 32 degrees F this morning for about 3 hours, I didn't want to even open the door to capture these hardy souls...so this is through the glass shortly after dawn. Later on I did do my walk, and dug out a wool hat to wear too! It really helped, though it admittedly was in the high 40s by then. I admit I love cold weather when it's a dry humidity level. If it's wet at all though, I don't enjoy it as much. (I wrote this on Nov 24)

I'm adding this shot of the flowers hung above the balcony last week for Thanksgiving and the day following. Then frost was again forecast, so it went back on the floor!


I took this photo as the cloud/fog was finally dried up by the morning sun. You can just see the clouds over the valley, and what I was most trying to capture, the drops of dew on the branches of the trees with sun hitting them. I guess having 3 aims in one photo is asking a bit much!





Maybe this one is better for the water droplets in the sunshine...and that one lonely leaf!





12 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Nice to see your plants surviving. The views of the distant clouds is pretty. We have had temps below 30 recently, it is cold. No snow yet. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, today there's snow everywhere, and it's not due to be above freezing till tomorrow. But mot of the snow is still melting on the ground. First snows don't usually amount to much, besides telling us winter is definitely here!

      Delete
  2. I say to that single, orange leaf, "Hang in there."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you bring those plants in to winter over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the table and windowsills are already overfowing!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos of the early winter there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It looks a lot colder today! Not due to get above freezing till tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. That is a great shot with that one lonely leaf! My cyclamen are doing OK; although the plant itself is hardy, the blooms aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it an outdoor plant? I don't think I've ever raised a cyclamen.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.