Update about blogCa

Sunday, November 1, 2020

After Zeta at Lake Tomahawk

 


The line of dried grass along the bank of Lake Tomahawk shows how high the water got. I've seen this only once before in my life when I returned to St. Augustine beach where our apartment was about a block from the ocean, and a storm surge left sand and debris in our driveway...following a hurricane.

As you can see, the lake isn't even at full level now...and they are draining off some of the water...I'll show you in the next pics...


Halloween walking on the dam here. The mechanism to lower the water is in that dock over on the right.
And the pipe discharges water below the dam, just before the bridge of the roadway...you can see the white rush of water at the middle of this photo.

Yes, the water was really muddy still from the short burst of heavy rain with Tropical Storm Zeta when she passed through on Wed. night and Thurs. morning.

Water will make its way...right down the path here on the side of the dam. We've had sunshine and cooler weather since the storm, so it's dry now, but hasn't been repaired.



Here there's lots of dry brush/grass along the side of the lake, where the high water left it.

From the footbridge, lots of water has covered whatever the machines were trying to do...as the stream enters the lake under the bridge.

Not much is different about the stream.


Some orange mesh fencing defines a construction zone...and the black plastic fence usually means that runoff is being held back from areas downhill from it. But being a weekend, no work was being done.

One Canada Goose was next to the path (you can see his tail only...as I started my walk. I am sorry, but Blogger loaded my photos in reverse order again. They were in correct order in the window before this one...argh!

As I walked along, there were only a few Mallards on the lake. With it having been almost completely drained, there is probably a limited amount of weeds available for eating by water-fowl.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Happy November! We rec'd a lot of rain from Zeta too. Love the views of the lake with ducks, geese and the mountains. Take care, enjoy your day. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...have a good week yourself! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. ...Zeta sounds like a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a bit of bluster and rain...we've had some others that were worse actually. The fast storms to go through do blow trees over and cut elec...but once they are gone, clean-up can start.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't walk the lake every day...but will probably have to go over more often to see what's happening next!

      Delete
  4. Zeta was quite a storm. Interesting to see the impact there on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice lake, hopefully it doesn't cause lots of problems when it rains.
    Thanks for sharing the photos of the storm's impact on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why they have the drainage pipe...to try to control the amount of water in the lake...they re-did the earthen dam a few years ago. I liked it better with trees on it actually.

      Delete
  6. I'll try one more time before I go and mumble into a corner. Load and write about your photos one at a time in the order that you want to present them. Write a little, add a photo, write a little more and and another photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is a good system for you to use. For me, I need to just add all the photos in a series at once, then make comments. I usually have quite a few photos, rather than just a couple. Of course my photos are phone snap-shots. And I actually cull out a few each time. The first time I see them enlarged is in the blogger screen.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.