Update about blogCa

Saturday, November 21, 2020

In front of the log cabin and a to-do-list

 

Log cabin of the 1890s.

I downloaded this, but didn't have the photographer, the location, or who these people were. Ah well

They were somoneone's ancestors...with only 2 men wearing hats, and a couple of little boys. A youngish girl with a short skirt on the far left, and a woman holding a squirming child sitting on the log...these are probably an extended family. That cabin was made with hand hewn timbers. The log in front was probably cut down and planned to be used at one time. And since there are real sash windows, these people were pretty well to do for the times and place. The window on the right seems to have been raised so perhaps someone could look out. 

Any other ideas?

Here's another cabin...


I don't know for sure, but I'm betting this is in one of the parks in the Appalachian mountains. It has the dog-trot design,  which means the big space in the middle is like a hall going from front to back. There's just one chimney, so that shows where the cooking and heating took place.



What do you call this man with his monkey? I have heard the Organ Grinder. And I think he also might be called a "hurdy gurdy" man. I vaguely think I saw one once when I was a wee little one, probably being held tightly by the hand. I don't think there was a monkey involved though, just the musician playing a organ type music box. He's the prompt today over at Sepia Saturday.



In case you might be climbing the walls because you are isolated due to the increased likelihood of catching COVID-19, I like this list of things to consider doing.




13 comments:

  1. Hello,

    The old cabins and photos are cool. I would think there are hundreds of these cabins in the Appalachians.
    You have a great "to do" list there, good advice. Take care, stay safe! Have a great day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old cabins that aren't kept up have disappeared, and there are a few foundations and chimneys remaining. I remember in the 70s visiting my sister near Livingston TN, and seeing old cabins along the roads...where plants were already coming in the floors. We were scared of snakes, I remember that.

      Delete
  2. ...my outdoor to-do-list is long, I hope the weather stays nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very little outdoor list...just to walk a half hour every day...which also gives me exercise as well as sunshine.

      Delete
  3. I have seen a hurdy gurdy played at Celtfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting...I didn't put it together with a Celtic culture before.

      Delete
  4. I love the woods and I love cabins - especially vacationing in them in the woods by a lake in the summer although the cabins we rent aren't quite as rustic. :) That's an excellent "To do" list. I think I probably do most of that without really thinking about it, but it's good to have a reminder just in case! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes vacation cabins are really a nice thing...not like those that were built for a family just starting to live on the land. Many people call their huge 5 bedroom vacation homes here their cabin. I laugh.

      Delete
    2. So do I - laugh. We lived in a vacation/resort area for a while and people did, indeed, call their 3000-4000+ square foot vacation homes, cabins. Oh well. :)

      Delete
  5. I've never seen a hurdy gurdy man but remember reading about one in the Bobbsey Twins books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Building a log cabin was no easy task. The ones in the Appalachians aren't like the Lincoln log kind in the west. The logs have to be squared and the ends dovetailed. Takes real craftsmanship to build a good one. Plus a LOT of trees. I like your list too. Just today I think I checked off several points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've made me wonder whether Appalachian cabins have squared logs also.

      Delete
  7. Excellent examples of log cabins. I had several ancestors who, according to the census, lived in log cabins in New York's Adirondacks region. It gets extremely cold there in winter, so their housing probably presented quite a challenge. And many thanks for the to-list. I have experimented with many during the coronavirus pandemic and this is a good one!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.