Update about blogCa

Driving past Shiprock, aka the Navajo name of Tse' Bit'a'i, or winged rock. A monadnock that's 1,583 tall - in New Mexico.

Sunday, July 12, 2026

OK, Women Let's Do This!

 


Marble figure of Artemis of Ephesus, probably 100-200 AD Roman Imperial Period 36 cm high

For all the women who were focused outwardly at pleasing others for so much of their lives...may they find their strength to be themselves, to stand for what they think and love, and especially to just relax and BE.

And a big salute to the men and other women in our lives who stand with us and support our strength and our emotions when we need them.



And of course, sayings to quote from the internet...duh!!



On July 3 someone else had a U-Haul truck where they were putting something.

Soon, grasshopper, soon...I shall also be doing a similar act. Now to decide whether to keep the little spirit house that is on my porch in the foreground. The cactus, no. But what to do with the little house...

Ah, I gave the smaller Haniwa one to my next door neighbor, and I'll keep the Spirit House. Here's a shot with both of them in a gentle rain yesterday.

I was trying to capture the mountain echoing thunder. Not sure it came through however.



Which reminds me to smudge with white sage to cleanse the apartment of any lingering vibes from my life here for 11 happy and sometimes sick years.



The place I am going is 166 miles from here! Monument Valley, Utah. 


Where I'm coming from...taken along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.

=======

PS, men are welcome to also "Do This!" Whatever they learn from powerful women creates a good balance...nobody is responsible for anyone but themselves!

But please, patriarchy has accustomed all of us to look to men to be the decision makers, protectors, educators, and above all else, leaders. Take it easy guys, these qualities may also be fulfilled quite adequately by women. Look for sharing. Look for speaking of feelings and intuition...yep, you've got it too! Equalitarianism is quite possible. So men can relax and enjoy following the community of women. Seriously! It won't be abusive, because a matriarchal structure is not power-over, but power-with each other!

-------------



20 comments:

  1. Having been in Ephesus recently on our Road Scholar trip it was interesting to see Artemis again here in your very poignant post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful trip that must have been. I enjoyed following along with your blog!

      Delete
  2. I grew up believing that I could do anything and didn't feel that I was less or should be in the background. I wonder if that is because I was in a family of four girls. Of course, when I became an adult, I learned that not everyone felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very positive story of your life, which is a great start of the day for me. I heard all the "be anything you want" but found it usually pertained to men's opportunities. The glass ceiling is life that I entered as an adult...as you probably also found. This today is when our political balance hangs by a thread as to whether we succumb to autocratic male power-mongers.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Great post and quotes! I like your spirit house, I am glad you are taking it with you.
    Best wishes on your move! Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Spirit House is full of my life images, there are 3 eggs in the nest pictured on the inside wall. A heart shape, tree designs, and birds. Yes, it's a keeper. Hard to pack, but I'll figure out a way!

      Delete
  4. That Karen Clark quotation is so true, certainly was of my upbringing. Embracing the Divine Feminine is the antidote to all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't learn about the Divine Feminine until I was in my 50s. Such a relief that it isn't just a patriarchal way with just changing the gender to female, but a new concept (which of course has existed forever) of nurturing, embracing, tolerance, listening, thinking, deciding, supporting...power-with.

      Delete
  5. I've noticed that women who lead fearlessly and were encouraged by their fathers were often from families with no boys. Enter a boy and the whole balance is changed. Likewise one man in a group of women is heard. One woman in a group of men is ignored and talked over. There's work to do here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, and we can each make efforts to change that!

      Delete
  6. Since birth, I've been doing what I want, and that's what my grandfather and dad taught me the most: be who you are, child, and do whatever makes you happy, not what others want, but what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent some hellish times trying to "do what you love, what you are happy doing..." and not having survival needs met - until I did what was needed to get paid...like secretarial work to support my love of art. Many writers, actors, dancers, artists of all kinds find a practical side of life, whether male or female, requires us to adapt to survive. Some become famous. Some don't. But having happiness doesn't depend upon what we do to provide food and shelter, but on what our inner being says to us. It's not the dichotomy of pleasing others vs ourselves, but being able to eat so that then we can sing.

      Delete
  7. Ah, the road to Monument Valley. I haven’t travelled much, but I am glad to have made it to there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now being called the Forest Gump road, since that where in the film he stopped running and turned around (or something like that.) I'm glad you went there too! Did you make it to the Pacific Ocean?

      Delete
  8. I find the Karen Clark quote especially powerful.
    What a change you are about to so bravely make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely keep the spirit house. Why are men so afraid of the power of women?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific post! And I'm glad you're keeping the spirit house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I hope that you have enjoyed a lifetime of rhododendrons and mountain laurel. Because there will be few if any where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was fortunate enough to take this route when driving across country several, years ago and ended up in San Diego where we used to live for several years. From one beautiful place to another, I wish you happy travels and thank you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are going to have some great new challenges. It'll keep your mind interested. It's a whole new chapter in your love and you will thrive!
    I love me a good storm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!