Update about blogCa

Saying a final goodbye to my old apartment.

Saturday, July 4, 2026

Fighting for freedom

  

Continental Army’s North Carolina Brigade marching through Philadelphia on Aug. 25, 1777
This is a great drawing of the American Revolution, showing women and children in the wagon, taking their parts in the conflict.




This 250 year long experiment in democracy by a republic called the United States of America is not doing so well at this time.

Whether it shall long endure has become a question in many people's minds. In the months until the November election there are strange and awful possibilities to be thrown at the world from the current authoritarian clown.

We shall see...

Me visiting my second son and his family in Atlanta for the Fourth sometime in the  early 2000s. This year he and his family will be in Philadelphia at a World Cup Soccer game!


The frequent and well populated demonstrations show that many many Americans are opposed to the actions coming from the White House.



What is the United States of America? See Rebecca Solnit's article in The Guardian.

that article link is worth reading!





20 comments:

  1. It seems like a bittersweet time for many Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were born in the USA (with foreign born parents, for instance) then you're a citizen. The illegal acts of ICE are stilll terrible. So many people suffering.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy today, because there's a lot of work to do. For everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many resistors are speaking, marching, and hopefully voting!

      Delete
  3. I can't help feeling that this is more a national day of mourning rather than the celebration of 250 years of democracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a group grieving happening. As my Wiccan friend, H. Byron Ballard says, get mad because anger leads to action.

      Delete
  4. Of course Freedom and Justice are women. It's why the patriarchy suppresses us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That stands to reason. Now that we powerful women have voices and votes...let's get to work! And powerful men who believe in democracy also!!

      Delete
  5. l live in red town and I am not seeing much decoration or celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Philadelphia canceled it's parade because of the heat. DC also. But the cradle of our democracy was full of people who believed in the reason our country was founded. I'm sorry that they didn't get their celebration. The fake news people are also using the heat to cancel lack of participation.

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    I would never have thought at this time we would to fight and stand up for our rights.
    Our country is being taken back in time, it is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but it wasn't our choice. We still must stand for the constitution and make our best efforts.

      Delete
  7. Yep, not feeling celebratory here. Worried, yes, angry and sad, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is seldom needed more than today. I couldn't enjoy any of the ceremonies on TV tonight...just terrible, every last one. Of course there was such a focus on people who were looking happy, which reminded me of all who aren't at all. Then on FB were photos of a LOT of ICE persons on a subway train. No thanks.

      Delete
    2. My mistake, the masked persons were among 400 members of the neo-Nazi group from Texas called Patriot Front marching around in Washington DC on Saturday.

      Delete
  8. So many people fighting back, May the midterms bring a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must remember there are many of us. I tend to forget when all the networks including PBS have shows that don't inspire at all. Yes voting might begin the change. I sure hope so.

      Delete
  9. I’m starting to wonder if it’s safe to talk about what’s happening. (Sob.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!