Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Sept. 20, 2024 10:45 am. Fog had finally started to burn off. New gazebo and Lakeview Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain NC

Saturday, June 1, 2024

New Women's Faces

  Newest Women's Quarters!

Nope Janice Joplin didn't make it this time.


  • Rev. Dr. Pauli Murray – poet, writer, activist, lawyer, and Episcopal priest
  • Patsy Takemoto Mink – first woman of color to serve in Congress
  • Dr. Mary Edwards Walker – Civil War era surgeon, women’s rights and dress reform advocate
  • Celia Cruz – Cuban-American singer, cultural icon, and one of the most popular Latin artists of the 20th century
  • Zitkala-Ša – writer, composer, educator, and political activist

But wait. Why don't I remember learning about them?
And I studied women's history, and am a feminist of several orders, er waves, or whatever the movement has been called.

SO I had to look them up of course. They meant enough for someone (who exactly anyway?) to chose them for being honored on these coins of the realm.

By the way, why oh why is Sojourner Truth not yet replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bills?


1. Durham native the Rev. Pauli Murray was the first Black person perceived as a woman ordained to the Episcopal priesthood. In 2012, they were named to Holy Women, Holy Men by the 77th General Convention of the Episcopal Church and thus became an Episcopal saint. According to their entry, "Growing up as a mixed-race person in the South, [Murray] became an advocate of ‘the universal cause of freedom,’ and throughout her life she worked tirelessly and with distinction as a lawyer, an advocate for civil and labor rights and feminism through her legal writings, essays and poetry.” Today, as we continue to learn more about Murray from their writings, we would add to their list of accomplishments LGBTQ+ advocate. (Curious about the pronouns used to describe Pauli Murray? Read more about it from the Pauli Murray Center.)

I especially liked the time-line of their life.

I'm going  to share the other 4 women's lives on different days!
==========

In my personal life - not much new. I'm going to try to go to be a Mud Buddy today at the Tailgate Market. The weather looks good. Yesterday started really early driving to Asheville to have my bone density test. I did chair yoga, and worked in the studio about half an hour, walked a bit, but felt pretty tired and took a long nap. Watched some old episodes of NCIS. Blogs, a bit of dragging plants back outside and remembered to water them. They need it more sitting in the sun than they did inside! Duh.

PS, I had a fever and a very uncomfortable fever blister on the septum of my nose when I woke Saturday, so stayed home and blogged, rather than going to market.

Today's quote:
No great work has ever been produced except after a long interval of still and musing meditation.  
-Walter Bagehot


6 comments:

  1. I am very much looking forward to the next!!! I like NCIS, too and yes... my Yoga book says... start again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far I'm not at the market, thanks to huge irritating cold sore that came up on the septum at the bottom of my nose. So tender and irritating at the same time. But I have drugs! I use a C-Pap machine at night, and sometimes it just irritates my nose something awful. Yes NCIS! Yoga is never supposed to cause pain. Working on that.

      Delete
  2. ...great news, I need to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post the other 4's mini bios here this week.

      Delete
  3. It is nice to see these women being honored. You have had a busy day. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...see you over at your critter's page.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.