Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Sept. 20, 2024 10:45 am. Fog had finally started to burn off. New gazebo and Lakeview Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain NC

Friday, June 7, 2024

Time for the 'Way-Back-When' machine

  


Let's celebrate the Suffragist Movement! On June 4, 1919 the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing women the right to vote, is passed by Congress and sent to the states for ratification.

http://histv.co/1sTycjb



IN 2019 I shared this post about the women working to get the vote in England, with a prompt from Sepia Saturday. These Women Mean Business


Suffragists worked since the 1840s in America to get women the right to vote. It wasn't until 1920 that the required 2/3 of the states ratified the  19th amendment to the constitution.

This is the Timeline of Getting Women the Vote.


Sharing with a new Sepia Saturday prompt...





10 comments:

  1. ...I live in the hotbed of the Suffragists' movement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha, I just found your comment hiding in spam. You sure do, upstate New York, and I believe you've been to one of the leader's graves.

      Delete
  2. Great post and photos! Kudos to all these women who fought for Women's right to vote. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...looking forward to tomorrow's critter's post!

      Delete
  3. I went back and reread your 2019 post "These Women Mean Business" and was impressed all over again with such an informative post. Thank heaven for all those women who strove so hard to gain women's rights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was hard for them...I can just imagine what their families must have endured as well!

      Delete
    2. Funny, I was just thinking - June 4th, (1974) was the first and only time I haven't voted in all my years of eligibility. I had a pretty good reason, though - being in the local hospital giving birth to our third child. :)

      Delete
  4. We need to remember how long they fought for this cause. Also, I was surprised to learn that when women got the vote in Illinois, only 34% voted.

    I'm writing a play on the first women to run for office in Chicago. An interesting time. I hope to finish it this summer.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Scotsue - I knew nothing about the progress to female emancipation in the USA , so thank you for such an informative post . I loved your main photograph with the young children involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take pride in being a member of the first generation of 18 year old Americans who won the right to vote in 1971 as the result of passage of the 26th Amendment to the Constitution. Ever since I learned about the women's suffrage movement I've wondered how American history, or for that matter world history too, might have been very different if women had been allowed to participate in political decision making in earlier times. What would it be like to have a constitution written by both Founding Mothers and Founding Fathers?

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.