Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Sept. 20, 2024 10:45 am. Fog had finally started to burn off. New gazebo and Lakeview Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain NC

Thursday, June 20, 2024

June 20, 2024

 The June Solstice will be with us soon - on the 20th June to be precise. 

Is that precise?

Convention dictates that we think of the solstice as lasting a day, but it doesn't last a second (in the same way that midday doesn't last a second).

The June solstice is the fleeting moment when the sun is overhead the most northerly part of the Earth it ever reaches - the Tropic of Cancer. It is also the moment that the North Pole is titled as much as it ever is towards the sun - and this has big implications for navigating using the sun.

 For a refresher on how to navigate using the Sun, please see this page:

FIND YOUR WAY USING THE SUN
Source: The Natural Navigator

-----------------------
And from an old post of mine in 2013...

Happy Summer Solstice!

This is Panther





This is Muffin, my queen who I raised from a newborn kitten (born on my front porch from a feral mother.)
Unconditional love...?

Neither of these lovelies ever knocked off any of my pottery from a shelf. What considerate furbies they were.

May your shortest night and longest day give you many blessings...surprises, gifts, loving, good health and joy  throughout the whole 24 hours!

Today's Quote:

Cooperation flows more easily when we let go of the necessity to be right all the time.

Sharing with Thankful Thursday

13 comments:

  1. The days and months are flying by! Cute kitties! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I dearly loved my little calico cats.

      Delete
  2. What a cutie!
    I'd forgotten about Summer Solstice! It's already 26℃ and it is only 7 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the forget me everything club. Hope you can stay cool during the day!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the Solstice! suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Solstice. I didn't know if it was today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty early this year...mmm might have something to do with leap year.

      Delete
  5. I discovered, in my mid-thirties, that I instinctively navigate by the sun. It happened when I went to Australia for the first time. I was a bit dazed after a 24 hour flight and was glad I had friends picking me up from the airport. I'd seen on maps where they lived and where that was in relation to the airport, but all the way to their house I was convinced we were heading the wrong way. Later in my time there I did some walking in the mountains and got thoroughly confused, even when using a compass. Yes, it was the sun appearing in the north which fooled me each time. Also, although I have no interest in astronomy, when going out at night I immediately was aware that all the stars were in the wrong places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pretty good sense of direction...if I can take bearings from where I know things are, and occasionally as I go along. Kind of seeing things as the sun shows, or at least shadows. But flying, oh dear me, it is really hard. Go around an airport once and I'm completely lost. So I think I surely understand how it must have been for you down under! I would have been much as confused.

      Delete
  6. Cute kitties! Thank you for your encouragement on my eye problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have sweet felines. I have two and love them to death. We made it through the solstice and full moon. Hard to believe the days will now get shorter. The whole year is zooming by. Thank you for linking up and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.