Update about blogCa

Saturday, January 20, 2024

The south, the music, the people

 While Sepians are remembering listening to portable radios...I'll share some other old photos that are hanging out in my SS folder!




Roberta Flack was born here in Black Mountain..."The first time ever I saw his Face" and "Singing me Softly with His Song"... much later than the early radio seen above.


The houses in the southern USA used to all have a front porch. Before air conditioning that is. Photograph by Samuel Lee.


With all the cold and snow the US has been having (and Canada, and  Scotland, and and) this shot of Fifth Avenue is appropriate, by Alfred Steiglitz, 1905




And going back south in the US, these pine forests provided turpentine, 1903


They probably never had snow to worry about!



Daughter of white tobacco sharecropper at country store in Person County, North Carolina, circa 1939.



Ray Hicks and family in Beech Mountain, NC. Ray Hicks was a storyteller known for his “Jack Tales”.

Come over and share your sepia photos at Sepia Saturday, it's easy!


Today's quote:

apricity: the warmth of the sun on a winter’s day


11 comments:

  1. Cool mural of Roberta Flack. I love the photo of the man on the porch! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like that mural to see when driving around town.

      Delete
  2. I remember my friend get a transistor radio. I am not really the jealous type, but . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had friends with portable radios, even before transistor ones came along. But I later did catch up and had a Walkman.

      Delete
  3. ...thanks for the reminder about Roberta Flack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like both of her songs. She may have recorded more, but these were hits.

      Delete
  4. Aren't these a moment in history... Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great old photographs here! My favorite is the last one and it blends right in with the music theme. It looks like Ray is getting ready to do a little 'soft shoe' number, or maybe a jig? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and they all tell a story. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. In my collection of musical photos, I have a category labeled "porch bands" as it was both a perfect place to play musical instruments and take a group photo too! And your beautiful orchid looks as if it can't wait for more sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Roberta Flack mural is amazing. I had no idea she was from Black Mountain. Loved the other photos, although I held my breath at the bark-stripped pines, which produced turpentine. Some of my ancestors worked in leather tanning, which decimated NY and PA forests through the use of tanbark -- similarly stripping trees, then moving on to the next forest. Thank goodness we have learned about ecology and this not happen a much anymore.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.