Update about blogCa

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

How about veganism?


First update from my life: Weather sunny and cool on Monday...I watched my weather forecast as the snowflakes disappeared from it's continued hopes last night. Nada. Maybe a few but the ground was too warm, so nothing but a bit of moisture.

The apartment inspection went well, and my friend texted to cancel our date later in the week because she has a sick granddaughter to care for. Those things happened at the exact same time. I just sat and let the manager look all over the kitchen (where I'd recently dragged a wet rag across the worst offenders in the refrigerator...it could well have still been wet!) I managed to finish my book and vacuum yesterday, and this morning finished doing the dishes. I scooted some laundry baskets away from under the air handler, since we're not suppose to have anything there. So I passed.

And I texted my friend who had no idea what I was talking about "they were here" etc...until I mentioned the inspection. So we celebrated by going to Ole's Guacamole for lunch, and I brought home half my food to add to dinner tonight.

HERE's the information I wanted to share with you!

Veganism

The UN Food and Agriculture Organization has said that animal agriculture contributes as much damaging greenhouse gases as the direct emissions from every car, truck, train, and plane on the planet.

How can that be? Well, there are many steps in the process to bring animal products from farm to table, and they all produce greenhouse gases.



Time is running out. Global greenhouse gas emissions must fall by about half by 2030 to meet the internationally agreed target of 1.5C of heating, but emissions are still rising.


The UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has singled out meat-eating for a key piece of blame. Research from 2020 found that methane levels were the highest on record, driven by livestock farming and fossil fuels. Methane is 28 times more powerful than CO2 at trapping heat.

Will eating vegan make a difference? Researchers from the University of Oxford reckon it will. In 2019 they said that veganism is the single biggest way to reduce our impact on the planet.

SOURCE:  emails at veganuary.com.

Then they recommend watching the video "Cowspiracy." But it has a charge, so I'm not. I did sign up for "veganuary," (going vegan for January) where I've received some yummy recipes. Today's was: 

Cheesy Spinach & Kale Dip which of course was vegan!

11 comments:

  1. Vegan cheese has come a long way in the past ten years..it was dire at one time! I still prefer veggie and vegan food that isn't pretending to be something else!!
    Two of my sons have partners who are vegan so have moved in that direction from being fourth generation Veggie.
    My daughter is moving in that direction...try explaining why you eat eggs and dairy to her twin 13 year old intelligent autistic sons....
    I stick with eggs yoghurt and cheese for nutrition.
    Much of the problem with meat etc production is firstly being non- organic...organic stock apparently produces less methane. Most soya beans grown are fed to stock instead of natural foods. Then as you say the processing chain produces much in the line of emissions.

    However it is difficult to discuss anything like this as most people seem to be on the extremes of any conversation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a friend shared how shocked she was with the movie Albatross - which shows the incredible plastic gyre, as well as the sad birds who die from plastics that they don't know are deadly...anyway my friend said now she's looking at all the plastic in her house and wanted first to throw it all away...which of course is the root of the problem. So we talked about just how replacing the use of single-use plastics was a start, and everyone can only do what they are able to do! Same goes for food. We eat to nourish ourselves first.

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to realise that we eat vegan meals several times a week. The argument can be so loaded with vegan "alternatives" that it's easy to forget how a simple stir fry dish or a lentil curry or fried potatoes with a large mixed salad are vegan dishes without the need for "cheese" or "meat" substitutes. I think if you stick to a couple of vegan meals and otherwise mostly vegetarian food you come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the meals that just fall into place in our lives, because they're good, and we like them! But not everyone has arrived at that point, so may be influenced by reading about the consequences of eating meat and milk products.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you passed the inspection. I think I would have an easier time eating vegan meals than my hubby. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are connected really close to meat eating. I haven't been able to quit yogurt or eggs or cheese either.

      Delete
  4. That was a good way to celebrate passing inspection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't eat a vegan lunch either! But rice and veggies were a big part of it.

      Delete
  5. ...I'm an addicted carnivore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt I was addicted to bread, so tried going a week without eating any. Interesting experience.

      Delete
  6. I have way too many allergies to eat vegan. Even vegetarian would be hard for me to do every day, although probably 3/4 of my meals are vegetarian. I don’t tolerate wheat or corn, or uncooked fruit, or mushrooms, or anything fermented, etc. etc. and so on.

    Other studies have shown that we waste too much food, and if we stopped wasting so much, it would do just as much good as not eating meat. Plus organic crops are fertilized with manure, and we use a lot of fuel transporting vegetables and fruits, especially tropical fruits, since they can only be grown in limited climates. And growing almonds requires too much water, and other crops are causing deforestation. We just have too many people and too much waste.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.